Lex Minus Dixit Quam Voluit, Lex Magis Dixit Quam Voluit: A Formal Study on Legal Compliance and Interpretation
This paper argues in favour of the necessity of dynamically restricting and expanding the applicability of norms regulating computer systems like multiagent systems, in situations where the compliance to the norm does not achieve the purpose of the norm. We propose a logical framework which distinguishes between constitutive and regulative norms and captures the norm change power and at the same time the limitations of the judicial system in dynamically revising the set of constitutive rules defining the concepts on which the applicability of norms is based. In particular, the framework is used to reconstruct some interpretive arguments described in legal theory such as those corresponding to the Roman maxims lex minus dixit quam voluit and lex magis dixit quam voluit. The logical framework is based on an extension of defeasible logic.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Boella, G., van der Torre, L.: Fulfilling or violating obligations in multiagent systems. In: Procs. IAT 2004 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Casanovas, P. (ed.): Proc. LOAIT 2007. CEUR (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Ginsberg, M.L.: Universal planning: An (almost) universally bad idea. AI Magazine 10(4), 40–44 (1989)Google Scholar
- 9.Governatori, G., Olivieri, F., Scannapieco, S., Cristani, M.: Superiority based revision of defeasible theories. In: Proc. NMR 2010. CUER (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Governatori, G., Rotolo, A., Sartor, G.: Temporalised normative positions in defeasible logic. In: Proc. ICAIL 2005, pp. 25–34. ACM, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Grossi, D.: Desigining Invisible Hancuffs. Formal Investigations in Institutions and Organizations for Multi-Agent Systems. PhD thesis, Utrecht University (2007)Google Scholar
- 18.Sartor, G.: Legal reasoning: A cognitive approach to the law. Springer, Dordrecht (2005)Google Scholar
- 20.Searle, J.R.: The Construction of Social Reality. The Free Press, New York (1995)Google Scholar
- 22.van der Torre, L., Boella, G., Verhagen, H. (eds.): Normative Multi-agent Systems. Special Issue of JAAMAS, vol. 17(1) (2008)Google Scholar