An Approach for Integrating Geospatial Processing Services into Three-Dimensional GIS
Three-dimensional (3D) GIS is gaining more and more acceptance among both scientists and the general public. Though powerful in data visualization, 3D GIS is comparatively weak in geospatial analysis. In order to enhance 3D GIS’s analysis capability, we present an approach for integrating geospatial processing services into 3D GIS. The architecture of our approach contains four layers which are the Presentation layer, the Application layer, the Service layer and the Data layer. Two different workflows are designed for this architecture to deal with geospatial tasks of different complexities. We also implement this approach in a 3D GIS project named Digital Chongming Island (DCI), Shanghai, China. By successfully integrating a variety of geospatial processing services into DCI, we have demonstrated that our approach is feasible and effective.
Keywords3D GIS geospatial processing services service and application integration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Nature: Think global. Nature, vol. 439 (7078), p. 763 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Skyline Software System Inc.: SkylineGlobe Technology Overview, pp. 1–17 (2009) Google Scholar
- 6.Google Inc.: Google Earth User Guide, pp. 1–131 (2007) Google Scholar
- 7.World Wind Web Manual, http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/manual.html
- 12.OGC: OpenGIS Service Architecture. OpenGIS Abstract Specification, 2–112 (2002) Google Scholar
- 13.Alameh, N.: Scalable and Extensible Infrastructures for Distributing Interoperable Geographic Information Services on the Internet. doctoral dissertation. MIT Libraries, Cambridge (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Paul, M., Ghosh, S.K., Acharya, P.S.: Enterprise geographic information system (E-GIS): A service-based architecture for geo-spatial data interoperability. In: IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), IEEE GRSS Press, Denver (2006)Google Scholar
- 17.Dunne, D., Sutton, G.: 3D Web mapping: integrating marine data into NASA World Wind. Hydro International 10(9), 7–9 (2006)Google Scholar
- 18.Craglia, M., Goodchild, M.F., Annoni, A., Camara, G., Gould, M., Kuhn, W., Mark, D., Masser, I., Maguire, D., Liang, S., Parsons, E.: Next-Generation Digital Earth. A position paper from the Vespucci initiative for the advancement of geographic information science. International Journal of Spatial Data Infrastructures Research 3, 146–167 (2008)Google Scholar
- 19.Aalst, W., Hee, K.: Workflow Management: Models, Methods, and Systems. MIT Press, Cambridge (2002)Google Scholar