Integration of Dialogue Patterns into the Conceptual Model of Storyboard Design
Web information systems, e.g. modern e-commerce platforms, become nowadays more sophisticated, cope with more complex applications and support an integration of speech dialogues. Their workflow and supporting infrastructure can be specified by storyboards. The integration of speech dialogues is however an unsolved issue due to the required flexibility, to the wide variety of responses and the expected nativeness. Classical keyword-based search cannot cope with such interaction media.
This paper extends storyboarding by speech dialogues. Speech dialogues must be very flexible in both recognition of answers and in generation of appropriate answers. We thus introduce a pattern-based approach to specification and utilisation of speech dialogues. The paper shows that it is possible to create patterns for common dialogue-forms. Consequently they are integrated into the storyboard model and build the basis for the modeling of natural dialogues in web information systems.
KeywordsConversational Speech Complex Dialogue Dialogue Type Dialogue Design Business Layer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Berg, M., Gröber, P., Weicht, M.: User Study: Talking to Computers. In: 3rd workshop on Inclusive E-Learning, London (2010) (to appear)Google Scholar
- 4.Ciarlini, A.E.M., Pozzer, C.T., Furtado, A.L., Feijó, B.: A Logic-Based Tool for Interactive Generation and Dramatization of Stories. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGCHI ACE, Valencia, vol. 265, pp. 133–140 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Cohen, M., et al.: Voice User Interface Design. Addison-Wesley, Redwood City (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Harris, R.A.: Voice Interaction Design. Crafting the New Conversational Speech Systems. Morgan Kaufman Publ. Inc., Massachusetts (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Rossi, G., Garrido, A., Schwabe, D.: Navigating between objects: Lessons from an object-oriented framework perspective. ACM Computing Surveys 32(1) (2000)Google Scholar
- 15.Schewe, K.-D., Thalheim, B.: Web Information Systems: Usage, Content, and Functionality Modelling. Technical Report (2005)Google Scholar
- 20.Wahlster, W.: SmartKom: Multimodal dialogues with Mobile Web Users. In: Proceedings of the Cyber Assist International Symposium, pp. 33–34 (2001)Google Scholar