Hypergeometric Language Model and Zipf-Like Scoring Function for Web Document Similarity Retrieval
- 767 Downloads
The retrieval of similar documents in the Web from a given document is different in many aspects from information retrieval based on queries generated by regular search engine users. In this work, a new method is proposed for Web similarity document retrieval based on generative language models and meta search engines. Probabilistic language models are used as a random query generator for the given document. Queries are submitted to a customizable set of Web search engines. Once all results obtained are gathered, its evaluation is determined by a proposed scoring function based on the Zipf law. Results obtained showed that the proposed methodology for query generation and scoring procedure solves the problem with acceptable levels of precision.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baeza-Yates, R.A., Ribeiro-Neto, B.: Modern Information Retrieval. Addison-Wesley Longman Publishing Co., Inc., Boston (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Henzinger, M.: Finding near-duplicate web pages: a large-scale evaluation of algorithms. In: SIGIR 2006: Proceedings of the 29th annual international ACM SIGIR conference on Research and development in information retrieval, pp. 284–291. ACM, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Pereira Jr., A.R., Ziviani, N.: Retrieving similar documents from the web. J. Web Eng. 2(4), 247–261 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Nagaraj, S.V.: Web Caching And Its Applications. Kluwer International Series in Engineering and Computer Science. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Selberg, E., Etzioni, O.: The metacrawler architecture for resource aggregation on the web. IEEE Expert, 11–14 (January–February 1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Zaka, B.: Empowering plagiarism detection with a web services enabled collaborative network. Journal of Information Science and Engineering 25(5), 1391–1403 (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Zipf, G.K.: Human Behavior and the Principle of Least Effort. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1949)Google Scholar