Temporal Analysis of Document Collections: Framework and Applications
As the amount of generated information increases so rapidly in the digital world, the concept of time as a dimension along which information can be organized and explored becomes more and more important. In this paper, we present a temporal document analysis framework for document collections in support of diverse information retrieval and seeking tasks. Our analysis is not based on document creation and/or modification timestamps but on extracting time from the content itself. We also briefly sketch some scenarios and experiments for analyzing documents from a temporal perspective.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alonso, O., Gertz, M., Baeza-Yates, R.: Clustering and Exploring Search Results using Timeline Constructions. In: 18th ACM Conf. on Information and Knowledge Management, pp. 97–106 (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Alonso, O., Baeza-Yates, R., Gertz, M.: Effectiveness of Temporal Snippets. In: WSSP Workshop, WWW Madrid (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Cha, S.-H., Srihari, S.N.: On measuring the distance between histograms. Pattern Recognition (35), 1355–1370 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Mani, I., Pustejovsky, J., Gaizauskas, R. (eds.): The Language of Time. Oxford University Press, Oxford (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Schilder, F., Habel, C.: From Temporal Expressions to Temporal Information: Semantic Tagging of News Messages. In: ACL 2001 Workshop on Temporal and Spatial Information Processing, pp. 1–8 (2001)Google Scholar