BPEL vs. BPMN 2.0: Should You Care?
BPMN 2.0 is an executable process modeling language. Thus, its relation to BPEL becomes an issue. In this paper, we propose a positioning of both languages, introduce the notion of a “native metamodel”, and emphasize the role of the native metamodel of a process engine for the actual discussion.
KeywordsWorkflow management systems process engines process modeling metamodels standards BPEL BPMN
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Web Services Business Process Execution Language Version 2.0, OASIS (2007), http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsbpel/2.0/wsbpel-v2.0.pdf (June 20, 2010)
- 2.WS-BPEL Extension for People (BPEL4People) Specification Version 1.1, http://docs.oasis-open.org/bpel4people/bpel4people-1.1.html (June 20, 2010)
- 3.Business Process Model and Notation, OMG 2009 (2009), http://www.omg.org/spec/BPMN/2.0/Beta1/PDF/ (June 20, 2010)
- 4.Kloppmann, M.: BPMN and BPEL – the relationship of two BPM standards, https://apps.lotuslive.com/bpmblueworks/blog/?p=889 (June 20, 2010)
- 5.Leymann, F.: BPEL vs BPMN 2.0: Should you care? http://leymann.blogspot.com/ (June 20, 2010)
- 6.Leymann, F., Roller, D.: Production Workflow. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Leymann, F., Karastoyanova, D., Papazoglou, M.: Influential BPM Standards: History and Essence. In: vom Brocke, J., Rosemann, M. (eds.) Handbook on Business Process Management. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Rowley, M.: Which is simpler: BPMN or BPEL, http://www.vosibilities.com/bpel/bpmn-or-bpel-which-is-simpler/2009/11/19/ (June 20, 2010)
- 9.Rowley, M.: BPMN 2.0 with BPEL – the debate is just starting, http://www.vosibilities.com/bpel/bpmn-with-bpel-the-debate-is-just-starting/2009/11/23/ (June 20, 2010)
- 10.Silver, B.: BPMN vs BPEL: Are we still debating this? http://www.brsilver.com/2009/11/19/bpmn-vs-bpel-are-we-still-debating-this/ (June 20, 2010)