16 Development of Tool Extensions with MOFLON
The increasing complexity of embedded systems is accompanied by an increasing number and complexity of models, modeling languages and tools in the development process. This results in a need for appropriate tool support at the metamodel level. Besides the necessity to develop new languages and tools, there is also a large demand for extensions to existing tools as well as for integration frameworks. Such frameworks ensure consistency between data that is distributed over several tools. In this chapter, we present MOFLON, a metamodeling tool primarily focused on tool extension and integration. It adopts several standards such as MOF 2.0 and JMI. It also supports story driven modeling as a means of describing on-model transformations as well as a combination of MOF QVT and triple graph grammars for model-to-model transformations and integration. We present a typical application of these features to tools used in the development of embedded systems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.OMG, Inc.: Catalog of OMG Modeling and Metadata Specifications (November 2008), http://www.omg.org/technology/documents/modeling_spec_catalog.htm.
- 2.Dirckze, R.: Java Metadata Interface (JMI) Specification, v1.0 (June 2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Bichler, L.: Tool Support for Generating Implementations of MOF-based Modeling Languages. In: Proceedings of the Third OOPSLA Workshop on Domain-Specific Modeling (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Zündorf, A.: Rigorous Object Oriented Software Development. University of Paderborn (2002), http://www.se.eecs.uni-kassel.de/fileadmin/se/publications/Zuen02.pdf
- 7.The Eclipse Foundation: Eclipse Modeling – EMF – Home (2008), http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/emf/
- 8.netbeans.org: Metadata Repository (MDR) Project Home (2008), http://mdr.netbeans.org/
- 9.Patzina, S.: Anpassung eines UML-Modellierungswerkzeuges für die Metamodellierung domänenspezifischer Sprachen. Master’s thesis, TU Darmstadt (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Amelunxen, C., Rötschke, T., Schürr, A.: Graph Transformations with MOF 2.0. In: Giese, H., Zündorf, A. (eds.) Proc. 3rd International Fujaba Days 2005, vol. tr-ri-05-259, pp. 25–31. Universität Paderborn (September 2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Königs, A.: Model Integration and Transformation - A Triple Graph Grammar-based QVT Implementation. PhD thesis, Technische Universität Darmstadt (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Amelunxen, C., Klar, F., Königs, A., Rötschke, T., Schürr, A.: Metamodel-based Tool Integration with MOFLON. In: 30th International Conference on Software Engineering, pp. 807–810. ACM Press, New York (2008) (Formal Research Demonstration) Google Scholar