On Strong Normalization of the Calculus of Constructions with Type-Based Termination
Termination of recursive functions is an important property in proof assistants based on dependent type theories; it implies consistency and decidability of type checking. Type-based termination is a mechanism for ensuring termination that uses types annotated with size information to check that recursive calls are performed on smaller arguments. Our long-term goal is to extend the Calculus of Inductive Constructions with a type-based termination mechanism and prove its logical consistency. In this paper, we present an extension of the Calculus of Constructions (including universes and impredicativity) with sized natural numbers, and prove strong normalization and logical consistency. Moreover, the proof can be easily adapted to include other inductive types.
KeywordsRecursive Function Recursive Call Typing Rule Proof Assistant Inductive Type
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abel, A.: A Polymorphic Lambda-Calculus with Sized Higher-Order Types. PhD thesis, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Altenkirch, T.: Constructions, Inductive Types and Strong Normalization. PhD thesis, University of Edinburgh (November 1993)Google Scholar
- 3.Barras, B.: Sets in coq, coq in sets. In: 1st Coq Workshop (August 2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Grgoire, B., Sacchini, J.L.: On strong normalization of the Calculus of Constructions with type-based termination (2010), http://www-sop.inria.fr/members/Jorge-Luis.Sacchini/papers/sn.pdf
- 8.Hughes, J., Pareto, L., Sabry, A.: Proving the correctness of reactive systems using sized types. In: POPL, pp. 410–423 (1996)Google Scholar
- 9.Lee, C.S., Jones, N.D., Ben-Amram, A.M.: The size-change principle for program termination. In: POPL, pp. 81–92 (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Wahlstedt, D.: Dependent Type Theory with Parameterized First-Order Data Types and Well-Founded Recursion. PhD thesis, Chalmers University of Technology (2007) ISBN 978-91-7291-979-2Google Scholar