Towards a Conceptual Framework for Legacy to SOA Migration
Migration of legacy assets to SOA embodies a key challenge of service engineering, the rehabilitation of pre-existing enterprise assets into a service based system. As there is still little conceptual characterization of what the legacy to SOA migration process entails it is difficult to understand, compare and assess different approaches. This paper therefore proposes a conceptual framework embracing a holistic illustration of such a migration process. We describe what such migration process entails and what distinct conceptual elements systematically define the process. Based on the constituting conceptual elements, the framework which is considered as a basis for understanding and assessment of different approaches is proposed. Finaly, the role of our migration framework in positioning and assessing the existing methods, is discussed.
KeywordsService Composition Reverse Engineering Migration Process Business Rule Enterprise Model
- 1.Aversano, L., Canfora, G., Cimitile, A., de Lucia, A.: Migrating legacy systems to the web: an experience report. In: CSMR 2001: Proc. of the 5th European Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering, Washington, DC, USA, p. 148. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Sneed, H.M.: Integrating legacy software into a service oriented architecture. In: CSMR 2006: Proc. of the Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering, Washington, DC, USA, pp. 3–14. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Lewis, G., Morris, E., Smith, D., O’Brien, L.: Service-oriented migration and reuse technique (smart). In: STEP 2005: Proc. of the 13th IEEE International Workshop on Software Technology and Engineering Practice, Washington, DC, USA, pp. 222–229. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Kazman, R., Woods, S.G., Carrière, S.J.: Requirements for integrating software architecture and reengineering models: CORUM II, 154 (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Andreas Winter, J.Z.: Model-based migration to service-oriented architecture. In: The International Workshop on SOA Maintenance Evolution, SOAM 2007 (2007)Google Scholar