Applying Process Mining in SOA Environments
Process mining is an emerging analysis technique, which extracts process knowledge from data and provides various benefits to organizations. In Service Oriented Computing environment, different services collaborate with others to carry out the operations and therefore overall picture of operations and execution is not clear. Process mining extracts the information from log files of systems, as recorded during executions, and depicts the reality. In order to apply process mining, extraction of process trace data from log files is a pre-requisite step. A case study demonstrates the practical applicability of our proposed framework for extraction of the process trace data from application systems and integration portals.
KeywordsBusiness process analysis Process trace data Log files SAP Process Integration Process mining
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.van der Aalst, W.M.P., Günther, C., Recker, J., Reichert, M.: Using process mining to analyze and improve process flexibility. In: Latour, T., Petit, M. (eds.) Proceedings of the CAiSE 2006 Workshops / 7th Int’l Workshop on BPMDS 2006, Namur, June 2006, pp. 168–177. Presses Universitaires de Namur (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Weijters, A.J.M.M., Maruster, L.: Workflow mining: Discovering process models from event logs. IEEE Transactions on KDE 16, 2004 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.van der Aalst, W.M.P.: Challenges in business process analysis. In: Filipe, J., Cordeiro, J., Cardoso, J. (eds.) Proceedings of the 9th ICEIS. Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing, vol. 12, pp. 27–42. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Muehlen, M.Z.: Workflow-based Process Controlling. Foundation, Design, and Implementation of Workflow-driven Process Information Systems. Advances in Information Systems and Management Science, vol. 6. Logos, Berlin (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.van Dongen, B.F., van der Aalst, W.M.P.: A meta model for process mining data. In: Conference on Advanced Information Systems Engineering (CAiSE) Workshops, vol. 161, p. 209 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Khan, A., Lodhi, A.: Analysis of Business Processes in Heterogeneous Environment: SAP as a Use Case. Master thesis, School of Computer Science, University of Magdeburg (February 2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Greco, G., Guzzo, A., Manco, G.: Mining and reasoning on workflows. IEEE Transactions on KDE 17(4), 519–534 (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Tiwari, A., Turner, C., Majeed, B.: A review of business process mining: State of the art and future trends. BPM Journal 14, 5–22 (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.van Giessel, M.: Process mining in sap r/3. Master’s thesis, Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven (2004)Google Scholar
- 18.Kassem, G.: Application Usage Mining: Grundlagen und Verfahren. PhD thesis, School of Computer Science, University of Magdeburg (2007) ISBN: 3832259953Google Scholar