Model Driven Orchestration: Design for Service Compatibility
Service composition is a recent field that has seen a flurry of different approaches proposed towards the goal of flexible distributed heterogeneous interoperation of software systems, usually based on the expectation that such systems must be derived from higher level models rather than be coded at low level. In practice, achieving service interoperability nonetheless continues to require significant modelling approach at multiple levels, and existing formal approaches typically require the analysis of the global space of joint executions of interacting services. Based on our earlier work on providing locally checkable consistency rules for guaranteeing the behavioral consistency of inheritance hierarchies, we propose a model-driven approach for creating consistent service orchestrations. We represent service execution and interaction with a high-level model in terms of Petri-net based Behavior diagrams, provide formal criteria for service consistency that can be checked in terms of local model properties, and give a design methodology for developing services that are guaranteed to be interoperable.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Becker, K., Lopes, A., Milojicic, D., Pruyne, J., Singhal, S.: Automatically Determining Compatibility of Evolving Services. In: ICWS, pp. 161–168 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Gong, X., Liu, J., Zhang, M., Hu, J.: Formal Analysis of Services Compatibility. In: COMPSAC, pp. 243–248 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Grossmann, G., Schrefl, M., Stumptner, M.: Orchestration Modeling: Design for Service Compatibility. Technical report, UniSA, ACRC (2010), http://www.mrgg.at/documents/TR-UNISA-CIS-KSE-2010-04.pdf
- 10.Kappel, G., Schrefl, M.: Object/Behavior Diagrams. In: Proceedings IEEE ICDE, pp. 530–539. IEEE Press, Los Alamitos (1991)Google Scholar
- 12.Lohmann, N., Massuthe, P., Stahl, C., Weinberg, D.: Analyzing interacting WS-BPEL processes using flexible model generation. DKE 64(1) (2008)Google Scholar
- 15.Wombacher, A.: Decentralized Consistency Checking in Cross-organizational Workflows. In: Proc. CEC/EEE 2006, pp. 39–46 (2006)Google Scholar
- 18.Zhou, Z.B., Bhiri, S., Gaaloul, W., Shu, L., Hauswirth, M.: Behavioral Compatibility of Web Services. In: OTM Workshops, pp. 27–28 (2008)Google Scholar