A Study on the Market Impact of Short-Selling Regulation Using Artificial Markets
Since the subprime mortgage crisis in the United Sates, stock markets around the world have crashed, revealing their instability. To stem the decline in stock prices, short-selling regulations have been implemented in many markets. However, their effectiveness remains unclear. In this paper, we discuss the effectiveness of short-selling regulation using artificial markets. An artificial market is an agent-based model of financial markets. We constructed an artificial market that allows short-selling and an artificial market with short-selling regulation and have observed the stock prices in both of these markets. We found that the market in which short-selling was allowed was more stable than the market with short-selling regulation, and a bubble emerged in the regulated market. We evaluated the values of assets of agents who used three trading strategies, specifically, these agents were fundamentalists, chartists, and noise traders. The fundamentalists had the best performance among the three types of agents. Finally, we observe the price variations when the market price affects the theoretical price.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arthur, W., Holland, J., LeBaron, B., Palmer, R., Tayler, P.: Asset pricing under endogenous expectations in an artificial stock market. In: The Economy as an Evolving Complex System II, pp. 15–44. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1997)Google Scholar
- 2.Arturo, B., Goetzmann, W.N., Zhu, N.: Efficiency and the bear: short sales and markets around the world, Yale ICF Working Paper No.02-45 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Darley, V., Outkin, A.V.: A NASDAQ Market Simulation: Insights on a Major Market from the Science of Complex Adaptive Systems. World Scientific Pub. Co. Inc., Singapore (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Izumi, K., Toriumi, F., Matsui, H.: Evaluation of automated-trading programs using an artificial market. NeuroComputing (forthcoming)Google Scholar
- 8.Marsh, I.W., Niemer, N.: The impact of short sales restrictions, The London Investment Banking Association (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Saffi, P.A.C., Sigurdsson, K.: Price efficiency and short-selling, AFA 2008 New Orleans Meeting Paper (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Soros, G.: The Alchemy of Finance. John Wiley & Sons. Inc., Chichester (2003)Google Scholar