A Simple E-learning System Based on Classroom Competition
We present an e-learning system based on online forms that allows teachers to easily organise competitions in a classroom. This system is used in a preliminary study to evaluate whether cooperative competition is positive or not in education, and to identify which are the characteristics this kind of activity should have to be no harmful for students, motivating and helping them in their learning process.
Keywordseducation e-learning student motivation competition cooperation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Johnson, D., Johnson, R.: Learning Together and Alone: Cooperative, Competitive, and Individualistic Learning. Allyn and Bacon Press, Boston (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Fasli, M., Michalakopoulos, M.: Supporting Active Learning through Game-like Exercises. In: 5th IEEE International Conference of Advanced Learning Technologies, pp. 730–734 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Fulu, I.: Enhancing Learning through Competitions. School of InfoComm Technology, Ngee Ann Polytechnic (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Verhoeff, T.: The Role of Competitions in Education. Faculty of Mathematics and Computing Science, Eidenhoven University of Technology (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Lam, S., Yim, P., Law, J., Cheung, R.: The Effects of Classroom Competition on Achievement Motivation. In: 109th Annual Conference of American Psychological Association (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Vockell, E.: Educational Psychology: a Practical Approach. Purdue University (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Thousand, J., Villa, A., Nevin, A.: Creativity and Collaborative Learning. Brookes Press (1994)Google Scholar
- 10.Shindler, J.: Transformative Classroom Management. Pearson Allyn & Bacon Press, Boston (2007)Google Scholar