Supervised Learning for Semantic Classification of Spanish Collocations
The meaning of word combination such as give a book or lend money can be obtained by mechanically combining the meaning of the two constituting words: to give is to hand over, a book is a pack of pages, then to give a book is to hand over a pack of pages. However, the meaning of such word combinations as give a lecture or lend support is not obtained in this way: to give a lecture is not to hand it over. Such word pairs are called collocations. While their meaning cannot be derived automatically from the meaning of their constituents, we show how to predict the meaning of a previously unseen word combination using semantic regularities we observe in a training set of collocations whose meaning has been specified manually.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alonso Ramos, M., Rambow, O., Wanner, L.: Using semantically annotated corpora to build collocation resources. In: Proceedings of LREC, Marrakesh, Morocco, pp. 1154–1158 (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Apresjan, Ju. D.: Selected Works, Lexical Semantics, vol. 1. Vostochnaya Literatura Publishers, Moscow (1995) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 3.Bolshakov, I.A., Gelbukh, A.F.: On Contemporary Status of the Meaning-Text Model. In: Guzman, A., Menchaka, R. (eds.) Selected Papers CIC-1999, CIC, IPN, Mexico City, pp. 17–25 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Hall, M., Frank, E., Holmes, G., Pfahringer, B., Reutemann, P., Witten, I.H.: The WEKA Data Mining Software: An Update. SIGKDD Explorations 11(1) (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Kilgarriff, A., Rychly, P., Smrz, P., Tugwell, D.: The Sketch Engine. In: Proceedings of EURALEX 2004, pp. 105–116 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Mel’čuk, I.A.: A Theory of the Meaning-Text Type Linguistic Models. Nauka Publishers, Moscow (1974) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 7.Mel’čuk, I.A.: Lexical Functions: A Tool for the Description of Lexical Relations in a Lexicon. In: Wanner, L. (ed.) Lexical Functions in Lexicography and Natural Language Processing, pp. 37–102. Benjamins Academic Publishers, Amsterdam (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Ruppenhofer, J., Ellsworth, M., Petruck, M., Johnson, C.R., Scheffczyk, J.: FrameNet II: Extended Theory and Practice. ICSI Berkeley (2006), http://framenet.icsi.berkeley.edu/book/book.pdf
- 9.Spanish WordNet, http://www.lsi.upc.edu/~nlp/web/index.php?Itemid=57&id=31&option=com_content&task=view (last viewed March 26, 2010)
- 10.The University of Waikato Computer Science Department Machine Learning Group, WEKA download, http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/index_downloading.html (last viewed March 26, 2010 )
- 11.The University of Waikato Computer Science Department Machine Learning Group, Attribute-Relation File Format, http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/arff.html (last viewed March 26, 2010)
- 14.Wanner, L., Bohnet, B., Giereth, M.: What is beyond Collocations? Insights from Machine Learning Experiments. In: EURALEX (2006)Google Scholar