Acquiring Innovative Manufacturing Engineering Knowledge for the Preliminary Design of Complex Mechanical Components
This research is concerned with the identification and sharing of the knowledge required during preliminary design when the manufacturing process is in development. An investigation was undertaken using a complex mechanical component with an innovative manufacturing process. The designers and manufacturing engineers involved in the preliminary design were interviewed and the data analysed. The difference in knowledge requirements depending on the domain specialism emerged as a significant finding. A schematic diagram to illustrate the knowledge interactions between the specialist domains was created. This will be used to create a methodology to facilitate the identification and sharing of manufacturing knowledge requirements.
KeywordsKnowledge sharing Innovative manufacturing processes
The authors would like to acknowledge the assistance and support of the project sponsor Rolls-Royce, particular Steve Wiseall, Peter Hill, Steven Halliday, Michael Moss and the anonymous contributors to the data collection. They would also like to acknowledge the support of the EPSRC and the DEC at Cranfield University.
- 3.Pahl, G., Beitz, W. (1988) Engineering Design: A Systematic Approach, Rev edn. Design Council, London.Google Scholar
- 4.Boothroyd, G., Dewhurst, P., Knight, W. (2002) Product Design for Manufacture and Assembly, 2nd edn. Marcel Dekker, New York, NY.Google Scholar
- 5.Young, B., Cutting-Decelle, A., Guerra, D., et al. (2004) Sharing manufacturing information and knowledge in design decision and support. IDMME, 2004:1–13.Google Scholar
- 12.Young, R.I.M., Canciglieri, J.R.O., Costa, C.J., et al. (2000) Information support in an integrated product development system. IDMME’, 2000:14.Google Scholar
- 16.Bohn, R.E. (1994) Measuring and managing technological knowledge. Sloan Management Review, Fall 1994:61–73.Google Scholar
- 22.Mountney, S., Gao, J. (2006) Manufacturing knowledge management: Requirements for preliminary design. In: Ghodous, P. (Ed.) Leading the Web in Concurrent Engineering: Next Generation Concurrent Engineering. IOS Press, Netherlands, pp. 515–525.Google Scholar
- 23.Mountney, S.L. (2009) Acquisition and sharing of innovative manufacturing knowledge for preliminary design. PhD Thesis, Cranfield University.Google Scholar