A Method for Novel Face View Synthesis Using Stereo Vision
This paper presents a method for synthesis of a novel view of a human face using a pair of images from a stereo camera set. Unlike other published methods our approach does not require an a priori knowledge (e.g. 3D head model) of the synthesized object shape. First 3D shape of a face is recovered using stereo vision technique and then an image from a novel viewpoint in synthesized. Proposed method is applicable in various image-based pattern recognition and biometric tasks as it allows to partially alleviate dependency on object orientation in space.
KeywordsFace Recognition Reference Image Stereo Image Stereo Vision Virtual View
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bradski, G., Kaehler, A.: Learning OpenCV. O’Reilly Media, Sebastopol (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Fehn, C.: Depth-Image Based Rendering (DIBR), Compression and Transmission for a New Approach on 3D-TV. In: Proceedings of the SPIE, Stereoscopic Displays and Virtual Reality Systems XI, vol. 5291, pp. 93–104 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Hirschmuller, H.: Accurate and Efficient Stereo Processing by Semi-Global Matching and Mutual Information. In: Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, CVPR 2005, vol. 2, pp. 807–814 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Scharstein, D., Szeliski, R.: A taxonomy and evaluation of dense two-frame stereo correspondence algorithms. International Journal of Computer Vision 47(1-3) (April 2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Telea, A.: An image inpainting technique based on the fast marching method. Journal of Graphics, Gpu, and Game Tools 9(1), 23–34 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Schreer, O., Kauff, P., Sikora, T.: 3D Videocommunication Algorithms, concepts, and real-time systems in human centered communication. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., Chichester (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhao, W., Chellappa, R.: Image-based Face Recognition: Issues and Methods. In: Javidi, B., Dekker, M. (eds.) Image Recognition and Classification, pp. 375–402 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhao, W., Chellappa, R., Rosenfeld, A., Phillips, P.: Face Recognition: A Literature Survey. ACM Computing Surveys, 399–458 (2003)Google Scholar