EvoShelf: A System for Managing and Exploring Evolutionary Data
Systems that utilize evolutionary computation produce large amounts of data. Quite often, this data has a convenient visual representation. However, managing and visualizing evolutionary data can be a difficult and onerous task. By employing techniques used in photo management software, we have produced a system that helps to organize and visualize evolutionary data while retaining a complete record of a simulation. By means of a simple plugin architecture this system can be extended to import data produced by arbitrary evolutionary systems. We present the system’s architecture, its features, and we provide a comprehensive example, highlighting its advantages in applied research.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Apple Inc. Apple - itunes (April 2010), http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/
- 2.Apple Inc. Apple - iPhoto (April 2010), http://www.apple.com/itunes/
- 3.Daida, J., Hilss, A., Ward, D., Long, S.: Visualizing tree structures in genetic programming. Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines (January 2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Google. Picasa photo editing (April 2010), http://picasa.google.com/
- 5.Hart, E., Ross, P.: Gavel-a new tool for genetic algorithm visualization. Evolutionary Computation (January 2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Havre, S., Hetzler, B., Nowell, L.: Themeriver tm: In search of trends, patterns, and relationships. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (January 2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Keim, D., Kriegel, H.: Visdb: Database exploration using multidimensional visualization. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications (January 1994)Google Scholar
- 8.Khemka, N., Jacob, C.: Visplore: a toolkit to explore particle swarms by visual inspection. In: GECCO 2009: Proceedings of the 11th Annual Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary computation (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Nullsoft. Winamp media player (April 2010), http://www.winamp.com/
- 10.Pohlheim, H.: Visualization of evolutionary algorithms - set of standard techniques and multidimensional visualization. In: Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, GECCO (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.von Mammen, S., Jacob, C.: Evolutionary swarm design of architectural idea models. In: GECCO 2008: Proceedings of the 10th annual Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation (July 2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Wu, A., Jong, K., Burke, D., Grefenstette, J., Ramsey, C.: Visual analysis of evolutionary algorithms. In: Proceedings of the 1999 Congress on Evolutionary Computation, CEC 1999 (1999)Google Scholar