Manifold Learning for Image-Based Gating of Intravascular Ultrasound(IVUS) Pullback Sequences
Intravascular Ultrasound(IVUS) is an imaging technology which provides cross-sectional images of internal coronary vessel structures. The IVUS frames are acquired by pulling the catheter back with a motor running at a constant speed. However, during the pullback, some artifacts occur due to the beating heart. These artifacts cause inaccurate measurements for total vessel and lumen volume and limitation for further processing. Elimination of these artifacts are possible with an ECG (electrocardiogram) signal, which determines the time interval corresponding to a particular phase of the cardiac cycle. However, using ECG signal requires a special gating unit, which causes loss of important information about the vessel, and furthermore, ECG gating function may not be available in all clinical systems. To address this problem, we propose an image-based gating technique based on manifold learning. Quantitative tests are performed on 3 different patients, 6 different pullbacks and 24 different vessel cuts. In order to validate our method, the results of our method are compared to those of ECG-Gating method.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bruining, N., von Birgelen, C., de Feyter, P.J., Ligthart, J., Li, W., Serruys, P.W., Roelandt, J.: Ecg-gated versus nongated three-dimensional intracoronary ultrasound analysis: Implications for volumetric measurements. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Diagnosis 43, 254–260 (1998)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Arbab-Zadeh, A., DeMaria, A.N., Penny, W., Russo, R., Kimura, B., Bhargava, V.: Axial movement of the intravascular ultrasound probe during the cardiac cycle: Implications for three-dimensional reconstruction and measurements of coronary dimensions. American Heart Journal 138, 865–872 (1999)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.de Winter, S.A., Hamers, R., Degertekin, M., Tanabe, K., Lemos, P.A., Serruys, P.W., Roelandt, J.R.T.C., Bruining, N.: A novel retrospective gating method for intracoronary ultrasound images based on image properties. Computers in Cardiology, 13–16 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Zhu, H., Oakeson, K.D., Friedman, M.H.: Retrieval of cardiac phase from IVUS sequences. In: Medical Imaging 2003: Ultrasonic Imaging and Signal Processing, vol. 5035, pp. 135–146 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.O’Malley, S.M., Carlier, S.G., Naghavi, M., Kakadiaris, I.A.: Image-based frame gating of IVUS pullbacks: A surrogate for ecg. In: Proc. IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing ICASSP 2007, April 15-20, vol. 1, pp. I-433–I-436 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.O’Malley, S.M., Carlier, S.G., Naghavi, M., Kakadiaris, I.A.: Image-based frame gating for contrast-enhanced IVUS sequences. In: Proceedings of Computer Vision for Intravascular and Intracardiac Imaging (CVII), Copenhagen, Denmark (October 2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Gatta, C., Pujol, O., Leor, O.R., Ferre, J.M., Radeva, P.: Robust image-based ivus pullbacks gating. Med. Image. Comput. Assist. Interv. Int. 11(Pt 2), 518–525 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Malpas, S.C.: Neural influences on cardiovascular variability: possibilities and pitfalls. Am. J. Physiol. Heart. Circ. Physiol. 282(1), H6–H20 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Belkin, M., Niyogi, P.: Laplacian eigenmaps for dimensionality reduction and data representation. Neural Comput. 15(6) (2003)Google Scholar