A Continuity Equation Based Optical Flow Method for Cardiac Motion Correction in 3D PET Data
Cardiac Motion artifacts in PET are a well known problem. The heart undergoes two types of motion, the motion due to respiratory displacement and the motion due to cardiac contraction. These movements lead to blurring of data and to inaccuracies in the quantification. In this study a continuity equation based optical flow method is presented and results on 3D PET patient datasets for cardiac motion correction are presented. The method was evaluated with respect to three criteria: correlation between the images, myocardial thickness and the blood pool activity curves. The results showed that the method was successful in motion correcting the data with high precision.
KeywordsOptical Flow Motion Correction Cardiac Motion Blood Pool Activity Myocardial Thickness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Erdi, Y.E., Nehmeh, S.A., Pan, T., Pevsner, A., Rosenzweig, K.E., Mageras, G., Yorke, E.D., Schoder, H., Hsiao, W., Squire, O.D., Vernon, P., Ashman, J.B., Mostafavi, H., Larson, S.M., Humm, J.L.: The CT motion quantitation of lung lesions and its impact on PET-measured SUVs. J. Nucl. Med. 45(8), 1287–1292 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Osman, M.M., Cohade, C., Nakamoto, Y., Marshall, L.T., Leal, J.P., Wahl, R.L.: Clinically significant inaccurate localization of lesions with PET/CT: frequency in 300 patients. J. Nucl. Med. 44(2), 240–243 (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Segars, W.P.: Development and application of the new dynamic NURBS-based cardiac-torso (NCAT) phantom, in Biomedical Engineering. Dissertation, University of North Carolina (2001)Google Scholar
- 18.Vitale, G.D., de Kemp, R.A., Ruddy, T.D., Williams, K., Beanlands, R.S.: Myocardial glucose utilization and optimization of (18)F-FDG PET imaging in patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus, coronary artery disease, and left ventricular dysfunction. J. Nucl. Med. 42(12), 1730–1736 (2001)Google Scholar
- 19.Erdi, Y.E., Nehmeh, S.A., Mulnix, T., Humm, J.L., Watson, C.C.: PET performance measurements for an LSO-based combined PET/CT scanner using the national electrical manufacturers association nu 2-2001 standard. J. Nucl. Med. 45(5), 813–821 (2004)Google Scholar