Information Flow Analysis of Energy Management in a Smart Grid
Information flow security within the context of multilevel security deals with ways to avoid unwanted information flow from a high level domain to a low level domain. Several confidentiality and information flow properties have been formalized in literature. However, applying them to Cyber-Physical Systems (CPSs) adds to the challenge of protecting confidentiality. This paper performs an information flow analysis of a future power CPS that has complex information flow and confidentiality requirements. Confidentiality properties such as non-deducibility are applied to the infrastructure considered. The proposed approach provides a unique direction for formalizing information flow properties for such systems with inherent complexity and security requirements.
KeywordsSecurity Information Flow Confidentiality Cyber-physical system Non-inference Bisimulation based Non-deducibility on Compositions
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.McLean, J.: Security models and information flow. In: Procs. of the 1990. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (1990)Google Scholar
- 2.Focardi, R., Gorrieri, R.: A classification of security properties for process algebras. Computer Security 3(1), 5–33 (1994/1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Smart Distribution System Design: Automatic Reconfiguration for Improved Reliability. In: IEEE General Meeting, Minneapolis, MN (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Phillips, L.: Hamilton Link, R.S., Welland, L.: Agent-based control of distributed infrastructure resources. Technical report, Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, New Mexico (2006), SAND2005-7937Google Scholar
- 5.IEEE: IEEE P1547.4 Draft Guide for Design, Operation, and Integration of Distributed Resource Island Systems with Electric Power SystemsGoogle Scholar
- 6.Lehtonen, M., et al.: Distribution energy management in the environment of de-regulated electricity market. In: Proc. Energy Management and Power Delivery, vol. 2, pp. 516–521 (1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Nikkhajoei, H., Lasseter, R.H.: Microgrid protection. In: Proc. IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, pp. 1–6 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Chronicles, M.R.: What will talking power meters say about you (2009), http://redtape.msnbc.com/2009/10/would-you-sign-up-for-a-discount-with-your-power-company-in-exchange-for-surrendering-control-of-your-thermostat-what-if-it.html (accessed March 19, 2010)
- 10.Huang, A.: Renewable energy system research and education at the NSF FREEDM systems center. In: Power & Energy Society General Meeting, PES 2009, pp. 1–6. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Akella, R., McMillin, B.M.: Model-Checking BNDC Properties in Cyber-Physical Systems. In: Annual International Computer Software and Applications Conference, vol. 1, pp. 660–663 (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Akella, R., Meng, F., Ditch, D., McMillin, B., Crow, M.: Distributed Power Balancing for FREEDM system. Technical report, Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla, MO, USA (2010), http://filpower.mst.edu/documents/Akella-FreedmAC10.pdf