A Fresh Look at Precision in Process Conformance
- 2.2k Downloads
Process Conformance is a crucial step in the area of Process Mining: the adequacy of a model derived from applying a discovery algorithm to a log must be certified before making further decisions that affect the system under consideration. Among the different conformance dimensions, in this paper we propose a novel measure for precision, based on the simple idea of counting these situations were the model deviates from the log. Moreover, a log-based traversal of the model that avoids inspecting its whole behavior is presented. Experimental results show a significant improvement when compared to current approaches for the same task. Finally, the detection of the shortest traces in the model that lead to discrepancies is presented.
KeywordsTransition System Coverability Graph Feasible Sequence Conformance Checker Underlying Behavior
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Process mining, http://www.processmining.org
- 8.Rozinat, A., de Medeiros, A.K.A., Günther, C.W., Weijters, A.J.M.M., van der Aalst, W.M.P.: The need for a process mining evaluation framework in research and practice. In: ter Hofstede, A.H.M., Benatallah, B., Paik, H.-Y. (eds.) BPM Workshops 2007. LNCS, vol. 4928, pp. 84–89. Springer, Heidelberg (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Rozinat, A., de Medeiros, A.K.A., Günther, C.W., Weijters, A.J.M.M., van der Aalst, W.M.P.: Towards an evaluation framework for process mining algorithms. BPM Center Report BPM-07-06, BPMcenter. org. (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Rozinat, A., van der Aalst, W.M.P.: Conformance testing: measuring the alignment between event logs and process models. In: BETA Working Paper Series, Eindhoven University of Technology, vol. 144, pp. 203–210. Eindhoven University of Technology, WP (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.van der Aalst, W.M.P., Rubin, V., Verbeek, H.M.W.E., van Dongen, B.F., Kindler, E., Günther, C.W.: Process mining: a two-step approach to balance between underfitting and overfitting. Software and Systems Modeling (2009)Google Scholar
- 19.van Dongen, B.F., Mendling, J., van der Aalst, W.M.P.: Structural patterns for soundness of business process models. In: EDOC, pp. 116–128. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2006)Google Scholar