Evaluation of Automated Theorem Proving on the Mizar Mathematical Library
This paper investigates the strength of first-order automatic theorem provers (ATPs) in proving theorems and lemmas from the Mizar proof assistant’s formal mathematical library. Several Mizar use-cases are described and evaluated, as well as various ATP systems and strategies. The new version of the leading Vampire ATP system is included in the evaluation, experiments with Mizar-specific strategy-selection are performed with E the prover, and the SInE axiom selection is evaluated on large Mizar problems with both E and Vampire. A rough mathematical division of the Mizar library is introduced, and the ATP performance is evaluated on it.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Dav81]Davis, M.: Obvious logical inferences. In: Hayes, P.J. (ed.) IJCAI, pp. 530–531. William Kaufmann, San Francisco (1981)Google Scholar
- [KRS90]Kotowicz, J., Raczkowski, K., Sadowski, P.: Average value theorems for real functions of one variable. Formalized Mathematics 1(4), 803–805 (1990)Google Scholar
- [MJWD06]Matuszek, C., Cabral, J., Witbrock, M., DeOliveira, J.: An Introduction to the Syntax and Content of Cyc. In: Baral, C. (ed.) Proceedings of the 2006 AAAI Spring Symposium on Formalizing and Compiling Background Knowledge and Its Applications to Knowledge Representation and Question Answering, pp. 44–49 (2006)Google Scholar
- [PS07]Pease, A., Sutcliffe, G.: First Order Reasoning on a Large Ontology. In: Urban, J., Sutcliffe, G., Schulz, S. (eds.) Proceedings of the CADE-21 Workshop on Empirically Successful Automated Reasoning in Large Theories (2007)Google Scholar
- [US10]Urban, J., Sutcliffe, G.: Automated reasoning and presentation support for formalizing mathematics in Mizar. In: Autexier, S., Calmet, J., Delahaye, D., Ion, P.D.F., Rideau, L., Rioboo, R., Sexton, A.P. (eds.) AISC 2010. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 6167, pp. 132–146. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)Google Scholar
- [VSU10]Vyskocil, J., Stanovsky, D., Urban, J.: Automated proof shortening by invention of new definitions. In: LPAR 2010. LNCS (LNAI). Springer, Heidelberg (to appear 2010)Google Scholar
- [Wie00]Wiedijk, F.: CHECKER - notes on the basic inference step in Mizar (2000), http://www.cs.kun.nl/~freek/mizar/by.dvi