Evaluation of Automated Theorem Proving on the Mizar Mathematical Library
This paper investigates the strength of first-order automatic theorem provers (ATPs) in proving theorems and lemmas from the Mizar proof assistant’s formal mathematical library. Several Mizar use-cases are described and evaluated, as well as various ATP systems and strategies. The new version of the leading Vampire ATP system is included in the evaluation, experiments with Mizar-specific strategy-selection are performed with E the prover, and the SInE axiom selection is evaluated on large Mizar problems with both E and Vampire. A rough mathematical division of the Mizar library is introduced, and the ATP performance is evaluated on it.
KeywordsTheorem Prover Automate Theorem Mizar Mathematical Library Included Axiom Obvious Inference
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Dav81]Davis, M.: Obvious logical inferences. In: Hayes, P.J. (ed.) IJCAI, pp. 530–531. William Kaufmann, San Francisco (1981)Google Scholar
- [KRS90]Kotowicz, J., Raczkowski, K., Sadowski, P.: Average value theorems for real functions of one variable. Formalized Mathematics 1(4), 803–805 (1990)Google Scholar
- [MJWD06]Matuszek, C., Cabral, J., Witbrock, M., DeOliveira, J.: An Introduction to the Syntax and Content of Cyc. In: Baral, C. (ed.) Proceedings of the 2006 AAAI Spring Symposium on Formalizing and Compiling Background Knowledge and Its Applications to Knowledge Representation and Question Answering, pp. 44–49 (2006)Google Scholar
- [PS07]Pease, A., Sutcliffe, G.: First Order Reasoning on a Large Ontology. In: Urban, J., Sutcliffe, G., Schulz, S. (eds.) Proceedings of the CADE-21 Workshop on Empirically Successful Automated Reasoning in Large Theories (2007)Google Scholar
- [US10]Urban, J., Sutcliffe, G.: Automated reasoning and presentation support for formalizing mathematics in Mizar. In: Autexier, S., Calmet, J., Delahaye, D., Ion, P.D.F., Rideau, L., Rioboo, R., Sexton, A.P. (eds.) AISC 2010. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 6167, pp. 132–146. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)Google Scholar
- [VSU10]Vyskocil, J., Stanovsky, D., Urban, J.: Automated proof shortening by invention of new definitions. In: LPAR 2010. LNCS (LNAI). Springer, Heidelberg (to appear 2010)Google Scholar
- [Wie00]Wiedijk, F.: CHECKER - notes on the basic inference step in Mizar (2000), http://www.cs.kun.nl/~freek/mizar/by.dvi