The Design of an Active Structural Vibration Reduction System Using a Modified Particle Swarm Optimization
This paper presents the synthesis of an active control system using a modified particle swarm optimization method. The system’s controller design is analyzed as a minimalization of the building stories’ acceleration. The proposed fitness function is computationally efficient and incorporates the constraints on the system’s stability and the maximum output of actuators. In order to handle the constraints the PSO was modified to take into account the particles’ distance to the best and the worst solutions. The performance of the obtained controller was tested using historical earthquake records. The performed numerical simulations proved that the designed controller is capable of efficient vibrations reduction.
Keywordsactive vibration reduction particle swarm optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Hu, X., Eberhart, R. C.: Solving constrained nonlinear optimization problems with particle swarm optimization. In: Proceedings of the sixth world multiconference on systemics, cybernetics and informatics 2002 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R.C.: Particle swarm optimization. In: IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, vol. 4, pp. 1942–1948 (1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Parsopoulos, K.E., Vrahatis, M.: Particle swarm method for constrained optimization problems. In: Proceedings of the Euro-international symposium on computational intelligence (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Qiao, W., Venayagamoorthy, G., Harley, R.: Design of optimal PI controllers for doubly fed induction generators driven by wind turbines using particle swarm optimization. In: Proceedings of 2006 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 1982–1987 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Sun, T.Y., Huang, C.S., Tsai, S.J.: Particle swarm optimizer based controller design for vehicle navigation system. In: IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, pp. 909–914 (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Wang, J., Brackett, B., Harley, R.: Particle swarm-assisted state feedback control: From pole selection to state estimation. In: 2009 American Control Conference, pp. 1493–1498 (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Yao, J.T.P.: Concept of structural control. ASCE J. Struct. Div. 98, 1567–1575 (1972)Google Scholar