A Cooperative Network Game Efficiently Solved via an Ant Colony Optimization Approach
In this paper, a Cooperative Network Game (CNG) is introduced. In this game, all players have the same goal: display a video content in real time, with no cuts and low buffering time. Inspired in cooperation and symmetry, all players should apply the same strategy, resulting in a fair play. For each strategy we shall define a score, and the search of the best one characterizes a Combinatorial Optimization Problem (COP). In this research we show that this search can be translated into a suitable Assymmetric Traveling Salesman Problem (ATSP). An Ant Colony Optimization (ACO) approach is defined, obtaining highly competitive solutions for the CNG. Finally, we play the game in a real context, using a new strategy in a Peer-to-Peer (P2P) platform, obtaining better results than previous strategies.
KeywordsCOP ATSP ACO P2P
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bertinat, M.E., Vera, D.D., Padula, D., Robledo, F., Rodríguez-Bocca, P., Romero, P.: Systematic procedure for improving continuity and latency on a p2p streaming protocol. To appear in Proceedings of IEEE Latin-American Conference on Communications (LatinCom 2009). IEEE, Los Alamitos (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Bertinat, M.E., Vera, D.D., Padula, D., Robledo, F., Rodríguez-Bocca, P., Romero, P., Rubino, G.: A cop for cooperation in a p2p streaming protocol. To appear in Proceedings of International Conference in Ultra Modern Telecommunications (ICUMT 2009). IEEE, Los Alamitos (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Bertinat, M.E., Vera, D.D., Padula, D., Robledo, F., Rodríguez-Bocca, P., Romero, P., Rubino, G.: Goalbit: The first free and open source peer-to-peer streaming network. To appear in Proceedings of the 5th international IFIP/ACM Latin American conference on Networking, pp. 49–59. ACM, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Cohen, B.: Incentives build robustness in bittorrent, vol. 1, pp. 1–5 (May 2003), www.bramcohen.com
- 7.Dorigo, M., Birattari, M., Stützle, T.: Artificial ants as a computational intelligence technique. Tech. Rep. 23, Institut de Recherches Interdisciplinaires, Université Libre de Bruxelles (September 2006)Google Scholar
- 11.GoalBit - The First Free and Open Source Peer-to-Peer Streaming Network (2008), http://goalbit.sf.net/
- 12.Zhou, Y., Chiu, D.M., Lui, J.: A Simple Model for Analyzing P2P Streaming Protocols. In: Proceeding of the IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP 2007), Beijing, China, pp. 226–235 (October 2007)Google Scholar