Constraint-Based Clustering of Image Search Results Using Photo Metadata and Low-Level Image Features
In this paper, we propose a clustering method in order to effectively present image search results on the Web. In order to reflect the difference of image semantics among the images, we use the meta-tags added by social tagging. Furthermore, we use low-level image features and photo metadata in order to consider the image looks and photo-taking conditions. We applied constrained agglomerative clustering method with must-link constraints for better clustering results by using multiple similarity metric. We conducted experiments to demonstrate that the proposed method effectively clusters image search results comparing to the traditional weighted similarity aggregation approach, and in some cases the clustering performance of our approach is better than other existing approaches for clustering tasks on an online photo sharing site.
KeywordsCluster Result Image Similarity Image Search Agglomerative Cluster Image Search Result
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Flickr, http://www.flickr.com/
- 2.Bhattacharyya, A.: On a measure of divergence between two statistical populations defined by their probability distribution. In: Bull. Calcutta Math. Soc. (1943)Google Scholar
- 3.Boutell, M.R., Luo, J.: Bayesian fusion of camera metadata cues in semantic scene classification. In: CVPR, vol. (2), pp. 623–630 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Fowlkes, E.B., Mallows, C.L.: A method for comparing two hierarchical clusterings. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 553–569 (1983)Google Scholar
- 7.Leelanupab, T., Halvey, M., Jose, J.M.: Application and evaluation of multi-dimensional diversity. In: ImageClef 2009 Workshop, Corfu, Greece (September 2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Meilă, M.: Comparing clusterings: an information based distance. Journal of Multivariate Analysis (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Moëllic, P.-A., Haugeard, J.-E., Pitel, G.: Image clustering based on a shared nearest neighbors approach for tagged collections. In: CIVR, pp. 269–278 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Salembier, P., Sikora, T.: Introduction to mpeg-7: Multimedia content description interface. Hohn Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York (2002)Google Scholar
- 13.van Leuken, R.H., Pueyo, L.G., Olivares, X., van Zwol, R.: Visual diversification of image search results. In: WWW, pp. 341–350 (2009)Google Scholar