Mining Decision Activity Logs
This paper introduces our work regarding the mining of decision activity logs generated by the users of a decision support system-like environment. We will show that a DSS can be modified in order to become “decision-aware. If the system offers support for all the data and information needs of the decision maker, how the user interacts with the software can provide us with a new perspective over the implicit and explicit knowledge employed in the decision process, as well as the decision patterns and strategies used for that decisional situation. All this valuable information will be stored as activity logs. Those logs need to be mined in order to build a graphical representation of the decision process. As proof-of-concept we focus on the enterprise loan contracting decision situation. We will show some of the models we created using several process mining algorithms and our own approach. Based on those models, we argue the new insights we can provide into the decision making process and the knowledge that is now explained and depicted as diagrams.
Keywordsdecision mining user activity log process mining mining algorithm decision reference model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.van der Aalst, W.M.P., Nakatumba, J., Rozinat, A., Russell, N.: Business Process Simulation: How to get it right? In: vom Brocke, J., Rosemann, M. (eds.) International Handbook on Business Process Management. Springer, Berlin (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.van der Aalst, W.M.P.: Using Process Mining to Generate Accurate and Interactive Business Process Maps. In: Abramowicz, A., Flejter, D. (eds.) BIS 2009 Workshops. LNBIP, vol. 37, pp. 1–14. Springer, Berlin (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Rozinat, A., de Medeiros, A.K.A., Gunther, C.W., Weijters, A.J.M.M., van der Aalst, W.M.P.: The Need for a Process Mining Evaluation Framework in Research and Practice. In: ter Hofstede, A.H.M., Benatallah, B., Paik, H.-Y. (eds.) BPM Workshops 2007. LNCS, vol. 4928, pp. 84–89. Springer, Heidelberg (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Rozinat, A., de Medeiros, A.K.A., Gunther, C.W., Weijters, A.J.M.M., van der Aalst, W.M.P.: Towards an Evaluation Framework for Process Mining Algorithms. BPM Center Report BPM-07-06, BPMcenter.org (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Weijters, A.J.M.M., van der Aalst, W.M.P.: Rediscovering Workflow Models from Event-Based Data using Little Thumb. Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering 10(2), 151–162 (2003)Google Scholar