DOCODE-Lite: A Meta-Search Engine for Document Similarity Retrieval
The retrieval of similar documents from large scale datasets has been the one of the main concerns in knowledge management environments, such as plagiarism detection, news impact analysis, and the matching of ideas within sets of documents. In all of these applications, a light-weight architecture can be considered as fundamental for the large scale of information needed to be analyzed. Furthermore, the relevance score for documents retrieval can be significantly improved using several previously built search engines and taking into account the relevance feedback from users. In this work, we propose a web-services architecture for the retrieval of similar documents from the web. We focus on software engineering to support the manipulation of users’ knowledge into the retrieval algorithm. An human evaluation for the relevance feedback of the system over a built set of documents is presented, showing that the proposed architecture can retrieve similar documents by using the main search engines. In particular, the document plagiarism detection task was evaluated, for which its main results are shown.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Baeza-Yates, R.A., Ribeiro-Neto, B.: Modern Information Retrieval. Addison-Wesley Longman Publishing Co., Inc., Boston (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Cormack, G.V., Palmer, C.R., Van Biesbrouck, M., Clarke, C.L.A.: Deriving very short queries for high precision and recall (multitext experiments for trec-7) (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Pereira Jr., Á.R., Ziviani, N.: Retrieving similar documents from the web. J. Web Eng. 2(4), 247–261 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Selberg, E., Etzioni, O.: The metacrawler architecture for resource aggregation on the web. IEEE Expert, 11–14 (January-February 1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Velasquez, J.D., Palade, V.: Adaptive Web Sites: A Knowledge Extraction from Web Data Approach. IOS Press, Amsterdam (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Wu, Z., Raghavan, V., Qian, H., Rama, V., Meng, W., He, H., Yu, C.: Towards automatic incorporation of search engines into a large-scale metasearch engine. In: WI 2003: Proceedings of the 2003 IEEE/WIC International Conference on Web Intelligence, Washington, DC, USA, p. 658. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Zaka, B.: Empowering plagiarism detection with a web services enabled collaborative network. Journal of Information Science and Engineering 25(5), 1391–1403 (2009)Google Scholar