Optimised Dielectric Totally Internally Reflecting Concentrator for the Solar Photonic Optoelectronic Transformer System: Maximum Concentration Method
- 1k Downloads
Renewable energies have become a matter of global attention during the last few years, with solar energy being a major focus. Building Integrated Photovoltaic (BIPV) system is an example of solar energy applications. This paper describes the Solar Photonic Optoelectronic Transformer (SPOT) system, one of the components in the SolarBrane, a BIPV system developed by SolarEmpower Ltd. The general design of a dielectric totally internally reflecting concentrator (DTIRC) is described. The process of designing an optimized solar concentrator using the maximum concentration method (MCM) for the SPOT system is also outlined with detailed steps on the simulation setup presented. The paper then compares the performance of the new concentrator with the current concentrator design. The results from the MATLAB simulation shows that the MCM offers a higher geometrical concentration gain, with a slight increase in the concentrator size.
KeywordsTotal Height Solar Energy Application Acceptance Angle Entrance Aperture Solar Concentrator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Renewable Energy Policy Network for the 21st Century (REN21 (2009), http://www.ren21.net/pdf/RE_GSR_2009_Update.pdf
- 2.Eiffert, P., Kiss, J.G.: Building-Integrated Photovoltaic Designs for Commercial and Institutional Structures: A Sourcebook for Architects. US Department of Energy’s (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.SolarEmpower Ltd, http://www.solarempower.com/
- 4.DESOL Project, http://cric-projects.com/front/index.jsp?idProject=10
- 5.3B Nexus, http://www.3bnexus.com/
- 6.Pre-X Capital Management Ltd, http://www.pre-x.com/
- 8.Ramirez-Iniguez, R., Idrus, S.M., Sun, Z.: Optical Wireless Communications: IR for Wireless Connectivity. Aurbach Publication, Florida (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Ramirez-Iniguez, R.: Optical Antenna Design Software (OADES), Manual for OADES Version 1.0 (2007)Google Scholar