Optimum Diffusion for Load Balancing in Mesh Networks
This paper studies the Diffusion method for the load balancing problem in case of weighted mesh graphs. Closed form formulae for the optimum values of the edge weights are determined using local Fourier analysis. It is shown that an extrapolated version of Diffusion (EDF) can become twice as fast for orthogonal mesh graphs. Also, as a byproduct of our analysis it is shown that EDF on tori is four times faster than on meshes.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brandt, A.: Multi–level adaptive solutions to boundary–value problems (1977)Google Scholar
- 3.Hong, J.W., Tau, X.N., Cheu, M.: From local to global: an analysis of nearest neighbor balancing on hypercube. In: ACM Symp. on SIGMETRICS, pp. 73–82 (1988)Google Scholar
- 4.Boillat, J.: Load balancing and poisson equation in a graph. In: Concurrency: Practice and Experience, pp. 289–313 (1990)Google Scholar
- 9.Xu, C.Z., Lau, F.C.M.: Load balancing in parallel computers: Theory and Practice. Academic, New York (1997)Google Scholar
- 10.Young, D.M.: Iterative Solution of Large Linear Systems. Academic, New York (2003)Google Scholar