A Context-Sensitive Manifold Ranking Approach to Query-Focused Multi-document Summarization
Query-focused multi-document summarization aims to create a compressed summary biased to a given query. This paper presents a context-sensitive approach based on manifold ranking of sentences to this summarization task. The proposed context enhanced manifold ranking approach not only looks at the sentence itself, but also considers its surrounding contextual information. Compared to the existing manifold ranking approach which totally ignores the contextual information of a sentence, this approach can capture more additional relevant information which is especially necessary for formulating the relationships between short text snippets like sentences. Experiments are conducted on the DUC 2005 and DUC 2006 data sets and the ROUGE evaluation results demonstrate the advantages of the proposed approach.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wan, X.J., Yang, J.W., Xiao, J.G.: Manifold-ranking based topic-focused multi-document summarization. In: Proceedings of 20th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 2903–2908 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Erkan, G., Radev, D.R.: LexRank: Graph-based centrality as salience in text summarization. Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research 22, 457–479 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Mihalcea, R.: Graph-based ranking algorithms for sentence extraction, applied to text summarization. In: Proceedings of ACL (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Saggion, H., Bontcheva, K., Cunningham, H.: Robust generic and query-based summarization. In: EACL 2003, pp. 235–238 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Conroy, J.M., Schlesinger, J.D.: CLASSY query-based multi-document summarization. In: DUC 2005 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Otterbacher, J., Erkan, G., Radev, D.R.: Using Random Walks for Question-focused Sentence Retrieval. In: HLT/EMNLP 2005, pp. 915–922 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhou, D.Y., Bousquet, O., Lal, T.N., Weston, J., Scholkopf, B.: Learning with local and global consistency. In: Proceedings of 18th NIPS (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Zhou, D.Y., Weston, J., Gretton, A., Bousquet, O., Scholkopf, B.: Ranking on data manifolds. In: Proceedings of 18th NIPS (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Lin, C.Y.: ROUGE: A package for automatic evaluation of summaries. In: Proceedings of workshop on text summarization branches out, post-conference workshop of ACL 2004 (2004)Google Scholar