A New Framework for the Extraction of Contour Lines in Scanned Topographic Maps
3D simulations requested in various applications had led to the development of fast and accurate terrain topography measurement techniques. In this paper, we are presenting a novel framework dedicated to the semiautomatic processing of scanned maps, extracting the contour lines vectors and building a digital elevation model on their basis, fulfilled by a number of stages discussed in detail throughout the work. Despite the good results obtained on a large amount of scanned maps, a completely automatic map processing technique is unrealistic and remains an open problem.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Pezeshk, A., Tutwiler, R.L.: Contour Line Recognition and Extraction from Scanned Colour Maps Using Dual Quantization of the Intensity Image. In: Proceedings of the 2008 IEEE Southwest Symposium on Image Analysis and interpretation, pp. 173–176 (2008), doi:10.1109/SSIAI.2008.4512313Google Scholar
- 3.Pouderoux, J., Spinello, S.: Global Contour Lines Reconstruction in Topographic Maps. In: Proceedings of the Ninth international Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, vol. (02), pp. 779–783 (2007), doi:10.1109/ICDAR.2007.4377021Google Scholar
- 4.Soycan, A., Soycan, M.: Digital Elevation Model Production from Scanned Topographic Contour Maps Via Thin Plate Spline Interpolation. The Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering Science 34(1A), 121–134 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Spinello, S., Guitton, P.: Contour Lines Recognition from Scanned Topographic Maps. Journal of Winter School of Computer Graphics 12(1-3) (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Wu, R.Q., Cheng, X.R., Yang, C.J.: Extracting contour lines from topographic maps based on cartography and graphics knowledge. Journal of Computer Science & Technology 9(2), 58–64 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Xin, D., Zhou, X., Zhenz, H.: Contour Line Extraction from Paper-based Topographic Maps. Journal of Information and Computing Science 1, 275–283 (2006), doi:10.1.1.94.8371Google Scholar