Scheduling Real-Time Mixed-Criticality Jobs
Many safety-critical embedded systems are subject to certification requirements; some systems may be required to meet multiple sets of certification requirements, from different certification authorities. Certification requirements in such “mixed-criticality” systems give rise to interesting scheduling problems, that cannot be satisfactorily addressed using techniques from conventional scheduling theory. In this paper, we study a formal model for representing such mixed-criticality workloads. We demonstrate first the intractability of determining whether a system specified in this model can be scheduled to meet all its certification requirements, even for systems subject to two sets of certification requirements. Then we quantify, via the metric of processor speedup factor, the effectiveness of two techniques, reservation-based scheduling and priority-based scheduling, that are widely used in scheduling such mixed-criticality systems, showing that the latter of the two is superior to the former. We also show that the speedup factors are tight for these two techniques.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Audsley, N.C.: Optimal priority assignment and feasibility of static priority tasks with arbitrary start times. Technical Report YCS 164, Department of Computer Science, University of York, England (1991)Google Scholar
- 2.Audsley, N.C.: Flexible Scheduling in Hard-Real-Time Systems. PhD thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of York (1993)Google Scholar
- 3.Barhorst, J., Belote, T., Binns, P., Hoffman, J., Paunicka, J., Sarathy, P., Stanfill, J.S.P., Stuart, D., Urzi, R.: White paper: A research agenda for mixed-criticality systems (April 2009), http://www.cse.wustl.edu/~cdgill/CPSWEEK09_MCAR/
- 4.Baruah, S., Li, H., Stougie, L.: Mixed-criticality scheduling: improved resource-augmentation results. In: Proc. of the 25th ISCA International Conference on Computers and their Applications (to appear, 2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Baruah, S., Li, H., Stougie, L.: Towards the design of certifiable mixed-criticality systems. In: Proc. of the 16th IEEE Real-Time Technology and Applications Symposium, Stockholm, Sweden (2010)Google Scholar