JXTA-Sim: Simulating the JXTA Search Algorithm
JXTA is a set of platform-independent, open source peer-to-peer protocols that has become popular for building services and applications based on peer-to-peer overlays. Existing work towards evaluating one of JXTA’s core protocols, the JXTA search algorithm, has mainly focused on testbed-based experiments. Although such evaluation configurations offer accurate results based on real deployments, scaling experiments to a large number of distributed hosts is difficult and often prohibitively expensive. Furthermore, repeating experiments using different configuration parameters might yield distorted results due to the uncontrolled nature of testbeds. Simulators offer an alternative to testbeds for evaluating large-scale applications in a controlled environment.This paper presents JXTA-Sim, a simulator for studying and evaluating the JXTA search algorithm. JXTA-Sim enables researchers to study the behavior of JXTA’s search algorithm using different configuration parameters and ultimately, to test JXTA-based peer-to-peer applications.
KeywordsPeer-to-peer computing search algorithm simulating JXTA applications
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ahkil, B.T., Traversat, B., Arora, A., Abdelaziz, M., Duigou, M., Haywood, C., Hugly, J., Pouyoul, E., Yeager, B.: Project jxta 2.0 super-peer virtual network. Technical report, Sun Microsystems, Inc. (May 2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Antoniu, G., Cudennec, L., Jan, M., Duigou, M.: Performance scalability of the jxta p2p framework. In: IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, IPDPS 2007 (March 2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Halepovic, B.T.E., Deters, R.: Performance evaluation of jxta rendezvous. In: International Symposium on Distributed Objects and Applications (DOA 2004), Agia Napa, Cyprus, October 2004. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Halepovic, E., Deters, R.: Jxta performance study. In: IEEE Pacific Rim Conference on Communications, Computers and signal Processing, PACRIM (August 2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Mohamed, B.T., Abdelaziz, M., Pouyoul, E.: Project jxta: A loosely-consistent dht rendezvous walker (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Naicken, S., Livingston, B., Basu, A., Rodhetbhai, S., Wakeman, I., Chalmers, D.: The state of peer-to-peer simulators and simulations. SIGCOMM Comput. Commun. Rev. (April 2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Pujol-Ahulló, J., García-López, P., Sànchez-Artigas, M., Arrufat-Arias, M.: An extensible simulation tool for overlay networks and services. In: SAC 2009: Proceedings of the, ACM symposium on Applied Computing, ACM, New York (2009)Google Scholar