A Novel Approach to Generate Test Cases Using Class and Sequence Diagrams
It is very important in today’s highly dynamic environment with changing requirements to develop test plan at each stage of the Software Development Life Cycle. Owing to the ever changing requirements, adequate updation in the requirement specifications is unavoidable. Due to lack of proper updation in the requirements, inconsistencies creep up. Research shows that number of software fail on account of these inconsistencies because proper testing is not possible on archaic requirements. Further, the increasing complexity of the projects make manual testing impossible. This calls for automatic testing of specifications to keep a check on the inconsistencies. Most of the earlier approaches to testing specifications use intermediate forms that makes automation difficult. In this paper, we will present a novel approach to automatic test case generation that integrates information from UML class and sequence diagrams and at the same time does not use any intermediate form. Users input the diagram information in the form of XMI files. These files are processed to extract the environment variables from the class diagrams and test sequences from sequence diagram and finally generate the test cases by applying Robustness Testing on the test sequence generated. Thus we avoid the intermediate forms as well as make automation an easier task.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mingsong, C., Xiaokang, Q., Xuandong, L.: Automatic Test Case Generation for UML Activity Diagrams. ACM Portal (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Biswal, B., Nanda, P., Mohapatra, D.: A Novel Approach for Scenario-Based Test Case Generation. IEEE Society (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Sokenou, D.: Generating Test Sequences from UML Sequence Diagrams and State Diagrams. IEEE Society (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Weißleder, S., Sokenou, D.: Automatic Test Case Generation from UML Models and OCL Expressions. IEEE Society (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Kansomkeat, S., Rivepiboon, W.: Automated -Generating test case using UML statechart diagrams (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Reiebisch, M., Philippow, I., Gotze, M.: UML-Based Statistical test Case generation (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Chen, M., Mishra, P., Kalita, D.: Coverage driven automatic Test generation from UML Activity Diagram (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Kundu, D., Samanta, D.: A Novel approach to Generate Test cases from UML Activity Diagrams (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.El-Far, I.K., Whittaker, J.A.: Model-based Software Testing (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Neat, B.: Boundary Value Analysis. University of Wales SwanseaGoogle Scholar
- 11.XMI Version1 Production of XML Schema Specification, www.jeckle.de/files/XMI1XSD.pdf