Efficient Pairing Computation with Theta Functions
In this paper, we present a new approach based on theta functions to compute Weil and Tate pairings. A benefit of our method, which does not rely on the classical Miller’s algorithm, is its generality since it extends to all abelian varieties the classical Weil and Tate pairing formulas. In the case of dimension 1 and 2 abelian varieties our algorithms lead to implementations which are efficient and naturally deterministic. We also introduce symmetric Weil and Tate pairings on Kummer varieties and explain how to compute them efficiently. We exhibit a nice algorithmic compatibility between some algebraic groups quotiented by the action of the automorphism − 1, where the ℤ-action can be computed efficiently with a Montgomery ladder type algorithm.
KeywordsTheta Function Abelian Variety Natural Projection Hyperelliptic Curve Symmetric Pairing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cohen, H., Frey, G., Avanzi, R., Doche, C., Lange, T., Nguyen, K., Vercauteren, F. (eds.): Handbook of elliptic and hyperelliptic curve cryptography. Discrete Mathematics and its Applications. Chapman & Hall/CRC (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Galbraith, S., Lin, X.: Computing pairings using x-coordinates only. Designs, Codes and Cryptography (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Igusa, J.-i.: Theta functions. Springer, New York (1972); Die Grundlehren der mathematischen Wissenschaften, Band 194 Google Scholar
- 10.Lubicz, D., Robert, D.: Computing isogenies between abelian varieties (2010), http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.2016
- 14.Mumford, D.: Tata lectures on theta I. Progress in Mathematics, vol. 28. Birkhäuser Boston Inc., Boston (1983); With the assistance of Musili, C., Nori, M., Previato E., Stillman, M. Google Scholar
- 15.Mumford, D.: Tata lectures on theta II. Progress in Mathematics, vol. 43. Birkhäuser Boston Inc., Boston (1984); Jacobian theta functions and differential equations, With the collaboration of Musili, C., Nori, M., Previato, E., Stillman, M., Umemura, H. Google Scholar