Implementing a Parallel Simulated Annealing Algorithm
The MPI and OpenMP implementations of the parallel simulated annealing algorithm solving the vehicle routing problem (VRPTW) are presented. The algorithm consists of a number of components which co-operate periodically by exchanging their best solutions found to date. The objective of the work is to explore speedups and scalability of the two implementations. For comparisons the selected VRPTW benchmarking tests are used.
Keywordsparallel simulated annealing MPI library OpenMP interface vehicle routing problem with time windows
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Czarnas, P., Czech, Z.J., Gocyła, P.: Parallel simulated annealing for bicriterion optimization problems. In: Wyrzykowski, R., Dongarra, J., Paprzycki, M., Waśniewski, J. (eds.) PPAM 2004. LNCS, vol. 3019, pp. 233–240. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Czech, Z.J., Czarnas, P.: A parallel simulated annealing for the vehicle routing problem with time windows. In: Proc. 10th Euromicro Workshop on Parallel, Distributed and Network-based Processing, Canary Islands, Spain, January 2002, pp. 376–383 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Czech, Z.J., Wieczorek, B.: Solving bicriterion optimization problems by parallel simulated annealing. In: Proc. of the 14th Euromicro Conference on Parallel, Distributed and Network-based Processing, Montbéliard-Sochaux, France, February 15-17, pp. 7–14 (2006) (IEEE Conference Publishing Services)Google Scholar
- 5.Czech, Z.J.: Speeding up sequential annealing by parallelization. In: Proc. of the International Conference on Parallel Computing in Electrical Engineering, PARELEC 2006, Białystok, Poland, September 13-17, pp. 349–354 (2006) (IEEE Conference Publishing Services)Google Scholar
- 6.Czech, Z.J.: Co-operation of processes in parallel simulated annealing. In: Proc. of the 18th IASTED International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing and Systems (PDCS 2007), Dallas, Texas, USA (November 13-15, 2006), pp. 401–406 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Solomon, M.M.: Algorithms for the vehicle routing and scheduling problems with time window constraints. Operations Research 35, 254–265 (1987), http://w.cba.neu.edu/~msolomon/problems.htm