Benchmarking the Customer Configuration Updating Process of the International Product Software Industry
Product software vendors have trouble defining their customer configuration updating process; release, delivery and deployment are generally underrated and thus less attention is paid to them. This paper presents an international benchmark survey providing statistical evidence that product software vendors who invest in the customer configuration updating process perceive that they are more successful than those who do not. Furthermore, the benchmark survey provides a vivid picture of the customer configuration updating practices of product software vendors and that customer configuration updating is an underdeveloped process.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Carzaniga, A., Fuggetta, A., Hall, R., van der Hoek, A., Heimbigner, D., Wolf, A.: A characterization framework for software deployment technologies (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Hall, R.S., Heimbigner, D., Wolf, A.L.: A cooperative approach to support software deployment using the software dock. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Engineering, pp. 174–183 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Brinkkemper, S., Xu, L.: Concepts for product software. European Journal of Information Systems 16, 531–541Google Scholar
- 5.Jansen, S., Ballintijn, G., Brinkkemper, S., van Nieuwland, A.: Integrated development and maintenance for the release, delivery, deployment, and customization of product software: a case study in mass-market ERP software. Journal of Software Maintenance and Evolution: Research and Practice 18, 133–151 (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Jansen, S., Brinkkemper, S., Helms, R.: Benchmarking the Customer Configuration Updating Practices of Product Software Vendors, 82–91 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.van der Schuur, H., Jansen, S., Brinkkemper, S.: Becoming Responsive to Service Usage and Performance Changes by Applying Service Feedback Metrics to Software Maintenance. In: Proceedings of the 4th Intl. ERCIM Workshop on Software Evolution and Evolvability, pp. 53–62 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Joint Technical Subcommittee between ISO (International Organization for Standardization) and IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission), Iso/iec 15504, a.k.a. spice (software process improvement and capability determination)Google Scholar
- 10.Dolstra, E., Visser, E., de Jonge, M.: Imposing a memory management discipline on software deployment. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Engineering. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Jansen, S.: Pheme: An infrastructure to enable any type of communication between a software vendor and an end-user . In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Maintenance 2007, tool demonstration (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Fowler, J.F.J.: Improving survey questions: Design and evaluation. Sage, Thousand Oaks (1995)Google Scholar