Finding Optimal Parameter Configuration for a Dynamic Triangle Mesh Compressor
This paper proposes a method of rate-distortion optimisation of an algorithm for compressing dynamic 3D triangle meshes. Although many articles regarding compression methods for this kind of data have been published in the last decade, the problem of rate-distortion optimisation has only been addressed by a very few of them. An exhaustive search method, where a grid of parameter configurations is used in the compressor and only the configurations producing good results are selected, is still widely used even though it requires a number of tries exponential to the number of parameters. Our proposed method can find better solutions (i.e. closer to an optimum) in expected linear to quadratic time.
KeywordsRate-Distortion Optimisation Dynamic Mesh Compression Principle of Equal Slopes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Mamou, K., Zaharia, T., Preteux, F., Stefanoski, N., Ostermann, J.: Frame-based compression of animated meshes in MPEG-4. In: IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo., ICME 2008, pp. 1121–1124 (June 2008)Google Scholar
- 4.International Organization for Standardization: ISO/IEC 14496 Part 16: Animation Framework eXtension (AFX), amendment 2: Frame-based Animated Mesh Compression (FAMC). International Organization for Standardization (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Váša, L., Skala, V.: Coddyac: Connectivity driven dynamic mesh compression. In: 3DTV-CON, The True Vision - Capture, Transmission and Display of 3D Video, Kos, Greece. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (May 2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Mamou, K., Zaharia, T., Preteux, F., Kamoun, A., Payan, F., Antonini, M.: Two optimizations of the MPEG-4 FAMC standard for enhanced compression of animated 3D meshes. In: 15th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, ICIP 2008, pp. 1764–1767 (October 2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Müller, K., Smolic, A., Kautzner, M., Eisert, P., Wiegand, T.: Rate-distortion-optimized predictive compression of dynamic 3d mesh sequences. Signal Processing: Image Communication, Special Issue on Interactive representation of still and dynamic scenes 21(9), 812–828 (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Müller, K., Smolic, A., Kautzner, M., Eisert, P., Wieg, T.: Predictive compression of dynamic 3d meshes. In: Proc. ICIP 2005, IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Touma, C., Gotsman, C.: Triangle mesh compression. In: Graphics Interface, pp. 26–34 (June 1998)Google Scholar