Classification of Wrist Pulse Blood Flow Signal Using Time Warp Edit Distance
The blood flow signals can be used to examine a person’s health status and have been widely used in the study of the clinical diagnosis of cardiovascular diseases. According to the pulse diagnosis theory of traditional chinese, the pathological changes of certain organs could be reflected on the wrist pulse signals. In this paper, we use Doppler ultrasonic device to collect the wrist pulse blood flow signals from patients with pancreatitis (P), duodenal bulb ulcer (DBU), appendicitis (A) and acute appendicitis (AA) as well as healthy persons. After extracting the envelopes of ultrasonic pulse contour, the wrist pulse blood flow signals are pre-processed using wavelet transform. Finally, we adopted a recent time series matching method, time warp edit distance (TWED), on the pre-processed data for classification of wrist pulse blood flow signals. The proposed approach is tested on the wrist blood flow signal dataset, and achieves higher classification accuracy than several classical time series matching approaches, such as Euclidean distance (ED), dynamic time warping (DTW), and edit distance with real penalty (ERP).
KeywordsWrist blood flow diagnosis time series time warp edit distance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Zhu, L., Yan, J., Tang, Q., Li, Q.: Recent progress in computerization of TCM. Journal of Communication and Computer 3, 78–81 (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Wang, K., Xu, L., Zhang, D., Shi, C.: TCPD based pulse monitoring and analyzing. In: Proceedings of the 1st ICMLC conference, Beijing (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Wang, H., Cheng, Y.: A quantitative system for pulse diagnosis in Traditional Chinese Medicine. In: Proceedings of the 27th IEEE EMB conference, Shanghai (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Chen, Y., Zhang, L., Zhang, D., Zhang, D.: Computerized Wrist Pulse Signal Diagnosis using Modified Auto-regressive Models. Journal of Medical Systems (September 2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhang, A., Yang, F.: Study on recognition of sub-health from pulse signal. In: Proceeding of ICNNB Conference, vol. 3, pp. 1516–1518 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhang, D., Zhang, L., Zhang, D., Zheng, Y.: Wavelet-based analysis of Doppler ultrasonic wrist-pulse signals. In: Proceeding of ICBBE Conference, Shanghai, vol. 2, pp. 589–543 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Zhang, D., Zuo, W., Zhang, D., Zhang, H., Li, N.: Wrist Blood Flow Signal-based Computerized Pulse Diagnosis Using Spatial and Spectrum Features. J. Biomedical Science and Engineering, 6 pages (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Chen, Y., Zhang, L., Zhang, D., Zhang, D.Y.: The public Pulse Signal Dataset (2010), http://www4.comp.polyu.edu.hk/~cslzhang/Pulse_datasets.htm
- 15.Mäkinen, V.: Using Edit Distance in Point-Pattern Matching. In: Proc. Eighth Symp. String Processing and Information Retrieval (SPIRE 2001), pp. 153–161 (2001)Google Scholar
- 16.Chen, L., Ng, R.: On the Marriage of LP-Norm and Edit Distance. In: Proc. Int’l. Conf. Very Large Data Bases, pp. 792–801 (2004)Google Scholar