A Qualitative Survey of Regression Testing Practices
Aim: Regression testing practices in industry have to be better understood, both for the industry itself and for the research community. Method: We conducted a qualitative industry survey by i) running a focus group meeting with 15 industry participants and ii) validating the outcome in an on line questionnaire with 32 respondents. Results: Regression testing needs and practices vary greatly between and within organizations and at different stages of a project. The importance and challenges of automation is clear from the survey. Conclusions: Most of the findings are general testing issues and are not specific to regression testing. Challenges and good practices relate to test automation and testability issues.
KeywordsRegression testing Survey Industry practice
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.IEEE: IEEE standard for software test documentation. IEEE Std(829-1983, Revision) (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Engström, E., Runeson, P., Wikstrand, G.: An empirical evaluation of regression testing based on fix-cache recommendations. In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Software Testing Verification and Validation, pp. 75–78 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Skoglund, M., Runeson, P.: A case study of the class firewall regression test selection technique on a large scale distributed software system. In: International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering., pp. 72–81 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.White, L., Robinson, B.: Industrial real-time regression testing and analysis using firewalls. In: Proceedings 20th IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance, pp. 18–27 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Flink, A.: The survey handbook, 2nd edn. SAGE Publications, Thousand Oaks (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Onoma, A.K., Tsai, W.T., Poonawala, M.H., Suganuma, H.: Regression testing in an industrial environment: Progress is attained by looking backward. Association for Computing Machinery. Communications of the ACM 41(5), 81–86 (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Causevic, A., Sundmark, D., Punnekkat, S.: An industrial survey on contemporary aspects of software testing. In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Software Testing Verification and Validation, pp. 393–401 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Grindal, M., Offutt, J., Mellin, J.: On the testing maturity of software producing organizations. In: Testing: Academia & Industry Conference-Practice And Research Techniques, TAIC/PART (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.Robson, C.: Real World Research, 2nd edn. Blackwell Publishing, Malden (2002)Google Scholar
- 15.Runeson, P., Beremark, P., Larsson, B., Lundh, E.: SPIN-syd - a non-profit exchange network. In: 1st International Workshop on Software Engineering Networking Experiences, Joensuu, Finland (2006)Google Scholar
- 16.Surveygizmo (December 2009) a web tool for questionnaires and polls, http://www.surveygizmo.com