Constructing and Navigating Non-invasive Model Decorations
Model-Driven Engineering tasks, such as simulation or transformation, often cannot be carried out directly on the models at hand; models often need to be decorated with additional information, and this information is in some cases not accounted for by existing metamodels. Moreover, engineers often need to experiment with alternative and complementary types of model decorations, particularly when carrying out more exploratory styles of development. Heavyweight approaches to decoration are not convenient in such situations. In this paper we demonstrate the limitations of existing model decoration mechanisms and tools, and present a novel approach that enables engineers to capture decoration information in the form of separate interchangeable models. The approach allows engineers to transparently and programmatically navigate decorations as if they were embedded in the decorated model.
KeywordsGraphical Editor Object Instance Exploratory Style Decorator Model Model Transformation Language
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kolovos, D.S., Paige, R.F., Polack, F.A.C.: On-Demand Merging of Traceability Links with Models. In: Proc. 2nd EC-MDA Workshop on Traceability, Bilbao, Spain (July 2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Sprinkle, J.: Metamodel Driven Model Migration. PhD thesis, Vanderbilt University, TN, USA (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Cicchetti, A., Di Ruscio, D., Eramo, R., Pierantonio, A.: Automating co-evolution in Model-Driven Engineering. In: Proc. International Enterprise Distributed Object Computing Conference, IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Herrmannsdoerfer, M., Benz, S., Juergens, E.: COPE: A language for the coupled evolution of metamodels and models. In: Proc. Workshop on Model Co-Evolution and Consistency Management (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Steinberg, D., Budinsky, F., Paternostro, M., Merks, E.: EMF: Eclipse Modelling Framework, Eclipse Series, 2nd edn. Addison-Wesley Professional, Reading (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Del Fabro, M.D., Bezivin, J., Jouault, F., Breton, E., Gueltas, G.: AMW: A Generic Model Weaver. In: Proceedings of IDM 2005 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Extensible Platform for Specification of Integrated Languages for mOdel maNagement (Epsilon), http://www.eclipse.org/gmt/epsilon
- 10.Kolovos, D.S., Paige, R.F., Polack, F.A.C.: Aligning OCL with Domain-Specific Languages to Support Intance-Level Model Queries. Electronic Communications of the EASST (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Kolovos, D.S., Rose, L.M., Paige, R.F., Polack, F.A.C.: Raising the Level of Abstraction in the Development of GMF-based Graphical Model Editors. In: Proc. 3rd Workshop on Modeling in Software Engineering (MISE), ACM/IEEE International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE), Vancouver, Canada (May 2009)Google Scholar