Turbo Code Using Adaptive Puncturing for Pixel Domain Distributed Video Coding
Distributed video coding is a research field which brings together error coding techniques along with video compression ones. Its core part is a Slepian-Wolf encoder which often involves turbo codes because of their strong error correction capabilities. The turbo encoder generates parity bits which are sent to refine the side information constructed at the decoder by interpolation using the neighboring key frames already received. For bit rate flexibility, these parity bits are punctured and sent gradually upon request until the receiver can correctly decode the frame. In this work, we introduce a novel distributed video coding scheme with adaptive puncturing that sends more parity bits when the virtual channel is noisy and less parity bit when it is not the case. Considerable compression performance improvement over the puncturing techniques used in literature is reported.
KeywordsDistributed video coding Rate compatible punctured Turbo code Log-MAP decoding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Wyner, A.D., Ziv, J.: The rate-distortion function for source coding with side information at the decoder. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory (January 1976)Google Scholar
- 4.Girod, B., Aaron, A., Rane, S., Monedero, D.R.: Distributed video coding. Proceedings IEEE, Special Issue on Advances in Video Coding and Delivery (January 2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Aaron, A., Zhang, R., Girod, B.: Wyner-Ziv coding of motion video. In: Proc. Asilomar Conference on Signals and Systems, Pacific Grove, CA, USA (November 2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Ascenso, J., Brites, C., Pereira, F.: Improving Frame Interpolation with Spatial Motion Smoothing for Pixel Domain Distributed Video Coding. In: 5th EURASIP Conference on Speech and Image Processing, Multimedia Communications and Services, Slovak Republic (July 2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Brites, C., Pereira, F.: Correlation Noise Modeling for Efficient Pixel and Transform Domain Wyner–Ziv Video Coding. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 1177–1190 (September 2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Avudainayagam, A., Shea, J.M., Wu, D.: A Hyper-Trellis based Turbo Decoder for Wyner-Ziv Video Coding. In: Proceedings IEEE GLOBECOM (2005)Google Scholar