Time-Critical Data Delivery in Wireless Sensor Networks
- 1.1k Downloads
A number of wireless sensor network (WSN) applications demand timely data delivery. However, existing WSNs are designed to conserve energy and not to support timely data transmission. This paper shows how WSNs can be dimensioned, deployed and operated such that both reliable and timely data delivery is ensured while scarce energy is preserved. The presented solution employs a novel Medium Access Control (MAC) protocol that incorporates topology control mechanisms to ensure timely data delivery and reliability control mechanisms to deal with inherently fluctuating wireless links. An industrial process automation and control scenario at an oil refinery in Portugal is used to define protocol requirements. The paper details a TinyOS implementation of the protocol and its evaluation in a testbed. Under high traffic load, the protocol delivers 100% of data in time using a maximum node duty cycle as little as 2.48%. In an idle network a maximum node duty cycle of only 0.62% is achieved. This proposed protocol is thus an extremely energy efficient solution for time-critical data delivery.
KeywordsWireless Sensor Network Medium Access Control Duty Cycle Medium Access Control Protocol Delivery Reliability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Munir, S., Lin, S., Hoque, E., Nirjon, S., Stankovic, J., Whitehouse, K.: Addressing Burstiness for Reliable Communication and Latency Bound Generation in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proc. 9th Int. Conf. Information Processing in Sensor Networks, Sweden (April 2010)Google Scholar
- 5.HART Communication Foundation, WirelessHART Data Sheet (April 2010), http://www.hartcomm.org/
- 6.Pister, K.S.J., Doherty, L.: TSMP: time synchronized mesh protocol. In: Proc. IASTED Symp. Parallel and Distributed Computing and Systems, Orlando, FL, USA (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Shashi Prabh, K.: Real-Time Wireless Sensor Networks. Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Strasser, M., Meier, A., Langendoen, K., Blum, P.: Dwarf: Delay-aWAre Robust Forwarding for Energy-Constrained Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proc. 3rd IEEE Int. Conf. Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems, Santa Fe, NM, USA, pp. 64–81 (2007)Google Scholar