Monitoring Social Media: Tools, Characteristics and Implications
The proliferation of social media is opening up new possibilities for companies to increase their awareness of openly expressed consumer sentiment about themselves and their competitors. In this paper a wide variety of software tools designed for monitoring social media are reviewed. Definitions for relevant concepts are given. Several tool characteristics are evaluated including analyzable social media types and language support. The main finding is that the tools offer a wide coverage of social media, but vary significantly in other characteristics with notable room for improvements. Therefore, careful judgment should be exercised when selecting the right tool for a particular use.
Keywordssocial media monitoring tools
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Social media, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_media
- 4.Kotler, P., Keller, K.L.: Marketing management, 13th edn. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.What is Social Media? http://webtrends.about.com/od/web20/a/social-media.htm
- 7.Social network, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_network
- 8.What is Social Networking? http://webtrends.about.com/od/socialnetworking/
- 9.Laine, M.O.J.: Bibliometric analysis and systematic review of management literature on virtual communities. In: Proceedings of the 9th European Academy of Management Conference (EURAM), Liverpool, UK, May 11-14 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.What is Web 2.0, http://oreilly.com/web2/archive/what-is-web-20.html
- 12.Hansen, D.L., et al.: Do you know the way to SNA? A process model for analyzing and visualizing social media data (forthcoming)Google Scholar