Concordance: A Framework for Managing Model Integrity
A change to a software development artefact, such as source code or documentation, can affect the integrity of others. Many contemporary software development environments provide tools that automatically manage (detect, report and reconcile) integrity. For instance, incremental background compilation can reconcile object code with changing source code and report calls to a method that are inconsistent with its definition. Although models are increasingly first-class citizens in software development, contemporary development environments are less able to automatically detect, manage and reconcile the integrity of models than the integrity of other types of artefact. In this paper, we discuss the scalability and efficiency problems faced when managing model integrity for two categories of change that occur in MDE. We present a framework to support the incremental management of model integrity, evaluating the efficiency of the proposed approach atop Eclipse and EMF.
KeywordsEclipse Modeling Framework Object Code Model Synchronisation Conformance Check Eclipse Modeling Framework Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Steinberg, D., Budinsky, F., Paternostro, M., Merks, E.: EMF: Eclipse Modelling Framework, 2nd edn. Addison-Wesley Professional, Reading (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Extensible Platform for Specification of Integrated Languages for mOdel maNagement (Epsilon), http://www.eclipse.org/gmt/epsilon
- 3.Jouault, F., Bezívin, J.: KM3: a DSL for Metamodel Specification. In: Proc. IFIP 2006, Bologna, Italy. LNCS, pp. 171–185 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Kolovos, D.S., Paige, R.F., Polack, F.A.C.: Scalability: The Holy Grail of Model Driven Engineering. In: Proc. Workshop on Challenges in MDE, MoDELS, Toulouse, France, September 2008, pp. 10–14 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Rose, L.M., Kolovos, D.S., Paige, R.F., Polack, F.A.C.: Enhanced automation for managing model and metamodel inconsistency. In: Proc. ASE, pp. 545–549. ACM Press, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Mens, T., Demeyer, S.: Software Evolution. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Eclipse Foundation. Eclipse Modeling Framework Technology (EMFT), http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/emft/
- 10.Rose, L.M., Kolovos, D.S., Paige, R.F., Polack, F.A.C.: An analysis of approaches to model migration. In: Proc. Joint MoDSE-MCCM Workshop, pp. 6–15 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Warmer, J.: Big Models - An Alternative Approach. In: Modeling Symposium, Eclipse Summit Europe, Ludwigsburg, Germany (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.EMF Index, Project Proposal, http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/emf-index/
- 14.Paige, R.F., Brooke, P.J., Ostroff, J.S.: Metamodel-based model conformance and multiview consistency checking. ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology 16(3) (2007)Google Scholar