The qnetworks Toolbox: A Software Package for Queueing Networks Analysis
Queueing Networks QNs are a useful performance modelling notation. They can be used to describe many kinds of systems, and efficient solution techniques have been developed for some classes of QN models. Despite the fact that QNs have been extensively studied, very few software packages for QN analysis are available today. In this paper we describe the qnetworks toolbox, a free software package for QN analysis for GNU Octave. qnetworks provides implementations of solution algorithms for single station queueing systems as well as for product and some non product form QN models. Exact, approximate and bound analysis can be performed. Additional utility functions and algorithms for Markov Chains analysis are also included. The qnetworks package is available as free and open source software, allowing users to study, modify and extend the code. This makes qnetworks a viable teaching tool.
KeywordsService Time Queueing Network Processor Share Closed Network Mixed Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Serazzi, G.: Performance Evaluation Modelling with JMT: learning by examples. Technical Report 2008.09, Politecnico di Milano (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Eaton, J.W.: GNU Octave Manual. Network Theory Limited (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.The MathWorks Inc. Natick, Massachussets: MATLAB (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Sauer, C.H., Reiser, M., MacNair, E.A.: RESQ: a package for solution of generalized queueing networks. In: AFIPS National Computer Conference. AFIPS Conference Proceedings, vol. 46, pp. 977–986. AFIPS Press (1977)Google Scholar
- 7.Chang, K.C., Gordon, R.F., Loewner, P.G., MacNair, E.A.: The Research Queuing Package Modeling Environment (RESQME). In: Winter Simulation Conference, pp. 294–302 (1993)Google Scholar
- 8.Véran, M., Potier, D.: QNAP2: A portable environment for queueing systems modelling. Technical Report 314, Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique (June 1984)Google Scholar
- 10.Jackson, J.R.: Jobshop-like queueing systems. Man. Science 10(1), 131–142 (1963)Google Scholar
- 13.Kleinrock, L.: Queueing Systems: Volume I–Theory. Wiley Interscience, New York (1975)Google Scholar
- 14.Lazowska, E.D., Zahorjan, J., Graham, G.S., Sevcik, K.C.: Quantitative System Performance: Computer System Analysis Using Queueing Network Models. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1984)Google Scholar
- 18.Schweitzer, P.: Approximate analysis of multiclass closed networks of queues. In: Proc. Int. Conf. on Stochastic Control and Optimization, June 1979, pp. 25–29 (1979)Google Scholar
- 24.Schwetman, H.: Testing network-of-queues software. Technical Report CSD-TR-330, Purdue University (January 1980)Google Scholar