Mod/Resc Parsimony Inference
We address in this paper a new computational biology problem that aims at understanding a mechanism that could potentially be used to genetically manipulate natural insect populations infected by inherited, intra-cellular parasitic bacteria. In this problem, that we denote by Mod/Resc Parsimony Inference, we are given a boolean matrix and the goal is to find two other boolean matrices with a minimum number of columns such that an appropriately defined operation on these matrices gives back the input. We show that this is formally equivalent to the Bipartite Biclique Edge Cover problem and derive some complexity results for our problem using this equivalence. We provide a new, fixed-parameter tractability approach for solving both that slightly improves upon a previously published algorithm for the Bipartite Biclique Edge Cover. Finally, we present experimental results where we applied some of our techniques to a real-life data set.
KeywordsComputational biology biclique edge covering bipartite graph boolean matrix NP-completeness graph theory fixed-parameter tractability kernelization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Downey, R.G., Fellows, M.R.: Parameterized Complexity. Springer, Heidelberg (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Duron, O., Bernard, C., Unal, S., Berthomieu, A., Berticat, C., Weill, M.: Tracking factors modulating cytoplasmic incompatibilities in the mosquito culex pipiens. Mol Ecol. 15(10), 3061–3071 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Engelstadter, J., Hurst, G.D.D.: The ecology and evolution of microbes that manipulate host reproduction. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics (40), 127–149 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Engelstadter, J., Telschow, A.: Cytoplasmic incompatibility and host population structure. Heredity (103), 196–207 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Flum, J., Grohe, M.: Parameterized Complexity Theory. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Gramm, J., Guo, J., Huffner, F., Niedermeier, R.: Data reduction, exact, and heuristic algorithms for clique cover. In: Proceedings of the 8th ACM/SIAM workshop on ALgorithm ENgineering and EXperiments (ALENEX), pp. 86–94 (2006)Google Scholar