A Multimodality Medical Image Fusion Algorithm Based on Wavelet Transform
According to the characteristics of a medical image, this paper presents a multimodality medical image fusion algorithm based on wavelet transform. For the low-frequency coefficients of the medical image, the fusion algorithm adopts the fusion rule of pixel absolute value maximization; for the high-frequency coefficients, the fusion algorithm uses the fusion rule that combines the regional information entropy contrast degree selection with the weighted averaging method. Then the fusion algorithm obtains the fused medical image with inverse wavelet transform. We select two groups of CT/MRI images and PET/ MRI images to simulate our fusion algorithm and compare its simulation results with the commonly-used wavelet transform fusion algorithm. The simulation results show that our fusion algorithm cannot only preserve more information on a source medical image but also greatly enhance the characteristic and brightness information of a fused medical image, thus being an effective and feasible medical image fusion algorithm.
KeywordsMedical image Fusion algorithm Wavelet transform Regional information entropy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Wang, A., Sun, H., Guan, Y.: The Application of Wavelet Transform to Multi-modality Medical Image Fusion. In: Proceedings of the 2006 IEEE International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control, pp. 270–274 (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Xiao, Z., Zheng, C.: Medical Image Fusion Based on An Improved Wavelet Coefficient Contrast. In: 3rd International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedical Engineering, pp. 1–4 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Wu, Z., Li, H.: Research on the Technique of Image Fusion Based on Wavelet Transform. In: ISECS International Colloquium on Computing, Communication, Control, and Management, pp. 165–168 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhang, J., Zhou, Z., Teng, J., Li, T.: Fusion Algorithm of Functional Images and Anatomical Images Based on Wavelet Transform. In: 2nd International Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Informatics, pp. 215–219. IEEE press, Tianjin (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Ge, W., Gao, L.: Multi-modality medical image fusion algorithm based on non-separable wavelet. Application Research of Computers 26 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Yan, L., Liu, B., Zhou, D.: A novel image fusion algorithm with novel performance evaluation method. Systems Engineering and Electronics 29, 509–513 (2007)Google Scholar