Call Graph Profiling for Multi Agent Systems
The design, implementation and testing of Multi Agent Systems is typically a very complex task. While a number of specialist agent programming languages and toolkits have been created to aid in the development of such systems, the provision of associated development tools still lags behind those available for other programming paradigms. This includes tools such as debuggers and profilers to help analyse system behaviour, performance and efficiency. AgentSpotter is a profiling tool designed specifically to operate on the concepts of agent-oriented programming. This paper extends previous work on AgentSpotter by discussing its Call Graph View, which presents system performance information, with reference to the communication between the agents in the system. This is aimed at aiding developers in examining the effect that agent communication has on the processing requirements of the system.
KeywordsMulti Agent System Time Stamp Work Agent Call Graph Agent Platform
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Doan Van Bien, D., Lillis, D., Collier, R.: Space-time diagram generation for profiling multi agent systems. In: Proceedings of PROMAS 2009, Budapest, Hungary (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Sun Microsystems, Inc.: JVM Tool Interface (JVMTI), Version 1.0 (2004), http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/jvmti/ (accessed August 4, 2008)
- 7.Helsinger, A., Thome, M., Wright, T., Technol, B., Cambridge, M.: Cougaar: a scalable, distributed multi-agent architecture. In: 2004 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, vol. 2 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Seah, C., Sierhuis, M., Clancey, W., Cognition, M.: Multi-agent modeling and simulation approach for design and analysis of MER mission operations. In: Proceedings of 2005 International conference on human-computer interface advances for modeling and simulation (SIMCHI 2005), pp. 73–78 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Nwana, H., Ndumu, D., Lee, L.: ZEUS: An advanced tool-kit for engineering distributed multi-agent systems. Applied AI 13(1), 2 (1998)Google Scholar
- 13.Botıa, J., Hernansaez, J., Skarmeta, F.: Towards an Approach for Debugging MAS Through the Analysis of ACL Messages. Computer Systems Science and Engineering 20 (2005)Google Scholar
- 16.Dragone, M., Lillis, D., Collier, R.W., O’Hare, G.M.P.: SoSAA: A Framework for Integrating Agents & Components. In: Proceedings of the 24th Annual Symposium on Applied Computing (ACM SAC 2009), Special Track on Agent-Oriented Programming, Systems, Languages, and Applications, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA (March 2009)Google Scholar