Injecting Service-Orientation into Multi-Agent Systems in Industrial Automation
Service-oriented architecture and multi-agent systems are used in the research of novel control systems for industrial automation. This work presents the advance of service-orientation into multi-agent system in industrial automation. An overview of the concept of service-oriented agent is done and also the enhancements that services can bring to multi-agent systems. The documented topics of this work are based on the experiments and projects of the authors in the domain of distributed and component based automation systems. The outcome shows that there are many benefits, namely the aspects of knowledge representation, communication, plug & play, interactions, beside others. These contribute to the vision of future automation systems, where flexibility and customization are strong arguments.
Keywordsmulti-agent systems service-oriented architecture service-oriented computing industrial automation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Zeeb, E., Bobek, A., Bohn, H., Golatowski, F.: Lessons learned from implementing the Devices Profile for Web Services. In: IEEE International Conference on Digital Ecosystems and Technologies (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Mick, R., Polsonetti, C.: Collaborative automation: The platform for operational excellence. White paper, ARC Advisory Group (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Nguyen, X.T., Kowalczyk, R.: Enabling agent-based management of web services with WS2JADE. In: 5th International Conference on Quality Software, pp. 407–412 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Shafiq, M.O., Ding, Y., Fensel, D.: Bridging multi agent systems and web services: towards interoperability between software agents and semantic web services. In: 10th IEEE International Enterprise Distributed Object Computing Conference, pp. 85–96 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.OASIS. Devices Profile for Web Services, DPWS (2009), http://docs.oasis-open.org/ws-dd/ns/dpws/2009/01
- 11.Delamer, I., Martinez Lastra, J.: Ontology modeling of assembly processes and systems using semantic web services. In: IEEE International Conference on Industrial Informatics, August 2006, pp. 611–617 (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Mendes, J., Bepperling, A., Pinto, J., Leitão, P., Restivo, F., Colombo, A.: Software methodologies for the engineering of service-oriented industrial automation: The Continuum project. In: Proc. 33rd Annual IEEE International Computer Software and Applications Conference, July 20-24, vol. 1, pp. 452–459 (2009)Google Scholar
- 14.Jennings, N.: Coordination techniques for distributed artificial intelligence (1996)Google Scholar
- 15.Puttonen, J., Lobov, A., Martinez Lastra, J.L.: An application of BPEL for service orchestration in an industrial environment. In: Proc. IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation, pp. 530–537 (2008)Google Scholar
- 16.Mendes, J.M., Leitão, P., Colombo, A., Restivo, F.: High-level Petri nets control modules for service-oriented devices: A case study. In: Proc. 34th Annual Conference of IEEE Industrial Electronics, November 10-13, pp. 1487–1492 (2008)Google Scholar
- 17.Zhao, Y.Z., Zhang, J.B., Zhuang, L., Zhang, D.: Service-oriented architecture and technologies for automating integration of manufacturing systems and services. In: 10th IEEE Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation, vol. 1, pp. 349–355 (2005)Google Scholar